Cummins ISX 500 boost problems

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by FunkRider, Sep 26, 2010.

1. KRAKAJACKJONSON

KRAKAJACKJONSON Medium Load Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Clemmons NC
    No power, no milege, and plenty of smoke, thats cummins for you.

2. Diesellee

Diesellee Bobtail Member

Jan 12, 2011
    TEXAS
    Ok now we are getting somewhere.
    Here are the cliff notes:
    2 months ago I did a full DPF / EGR delete from PDI. Everything was and still is great. Except for this occasional episode of what the original poster describes. He describes what is happening very well. Any who, because of this whooshing sound I was thinking that it was from the EGR gasses building up and releasing under pressure so I replaced the front section of the exhaust manifold with a piece identical to the rear. Well turns out I still have this dam problem sometimes. When loaded and as you shift through the gears you can tell when the truck is truly under load and at that instant it's as if somebody just smashes your intercooler with a sledgehammer. You get the whooooosshht sound and power just drops off the table then picks back up. This all happens within a second or two. Just one of those things you can't really explain. But any help would awesome cuz Im tired of this crap.

3. Pappa Bear

Pappa Bear Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Springfield, OH
    I would ask PDI if they know what might be causing it. If you're still using the factory turbo that could be your problem. The ECM might be sensing to much exhaust pressure and dumping the boost or any number of other things like that.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  4. aronbarbaron

aronbarbaron Bobtail Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    I have a Volvo 04 with 450 HP cummins isx. I had the same problem and I spend thousand of dollars trying to fix it. The EGR has been replaced 6 times in past 2 years, nothing helped. One day I talked to a friend of mine who works at Porsche dealership and he told me to disconnect the EGR itself, so I did it. Now my truck is running better I got good fuel mileage and more important ::within couple oil changes the engine got clean, even when reaches 6000 miles after PM service it is still clean and pure. I know it is not good for emissions to run it like that, but these engines 04-05 have this issue. Keep the EGR closed and to make sure it is the intake hose coming from EGR gotta be cold when the engine is running. Btw I got now average 6.8-7.2 per gallon

5. exfarmer

exfarmer Bobtail Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Humboldt,Sk
    What did you disconnect?

6. pawpaw1

pawpaw1 Medium Load Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Dallas,Ga.
    Well, on my 06 ISX , I simply unplugged the electrical connector. Still seemed to have a soot problem , though. Recently had DPI do the EGR delete.
    Then I discovered something called a scangaugeD. Less than $200.00 , and I can monitor boost , load , air temp , some other things.
    It seems I may have a problem with an exhaust gas sensor , as my boost pressure will fluctuate quite a bit , under load.
    Found a page called BigRigShots , that explains it a little bit.
    Soon as I can get to a dealer , I'm gonna get a new sensor , see if it does the trick.

7. gregor

gregor Light Load Member

May 13, 2011
    chicago,il
    hi, had same thing as original post......my truck 06 vnl has front air bags.... so here is what i did after spoke with few mechanics and 2 volvo services.....fan cluch, airbags, electric/air turbo box, turbo actuator are supply from same air supply tube which coming from check?? valve inside frame (behind 4 batteries) ....found there many air lekas so replaced that check??valve ,2 front air bags with 2 air valves, turbo acuator and every single air tube and connector was there, also exhaust gas preasure sensor and everything got back to normal......
    that turbo/electric box needs full system air pressure to operate properly, so if you have any even little air leak it weaken your turbo actuator and/or turbo electric/air box to operate properly ....i dont know if that helps but that was my problem
    since that a have around 35 psi boost whenever i need it, mpg 6,5 - 7,3 , everything seems working fine

8. 129fabyan

129fabyan Bobtail Member

Mar 24, 2013
    Newark NJ
    I have the same problem.I tryed to fix at the dealer but only spent money, around $ 500 but nobody founded the issue.

9. john77

john77 Bobtail Member

Apr 20, 2014
    Wish i new this price salt lake city kenworth charge me 1900 for actulor when that light never show up on dash now boost pressure ligjt on an really no power like before lakeland fl must not check it out or they cut power down

10. 129fabyan

129fabyan Bobtail Member

Mar 24, 2013
    Newark NJ
    I found the boost problem after a break down on the road. The engine red light started coming after 1000 RPM and shoot off the engine. I need to be towed to a cummins dealer in San Antonio TX. They changed the turbo and the turbo activator. $ 6,000.00. They did good. No more boost problems and now I am doing 6.6 m/g. Before I was doing 4.7 m/g. I think for engine problems the cummins dealer is better then a Peterbilt dealer.

• Draft saved Draft deleted