Cummins ISX Explosion near Turbo

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by cmcinc, Jun 28, 2018.

1. cmcinc

cmcinc Bobtail Member

May 22, 2018
    Hello guys,

Looking for some help, i heard a loud explosion somewhere around the Turbocharger area while driving, right after the explosion i can hear like a leak of air somewhere around the turbo and lost power from the engine.

I have the check engine light that came on right after i heard the explosion, i got this codes from Keeptrukin:

SPN-102
    FMI 18
    Engine intake manifold #1 pressure

SPN-1209
    FMI 16
    Engine exhaust pressure 1

SPN-1569
    FMI 31
    Engine protection derate

SPN-641
    FMI 7
    Engine variable geometry turbocharger actuator #1

SPN-3058
    FMI 16
    Engine exhaust gas recirculation system monitor

SPN-1209
    FMI 2
    Engine exhaust pressure 1

Any comments will help, thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I can only make a guess. But I'm guessing your turbo is locked, or carboned up, or something like a bad exhaust part?

4. jodyj54

jodyj54 Light Load Member

Mar 15, 2018
    Our old cabover Freightliners used to do that. It was caused by the clamp holding the rubber elbow that connects to the turbo inlet let go, or the rubber elbow got partly sucked in toward the turbo. Easy repair with a screwdriver-truck engine OFF. From what you describe, it is exactly what we used to hear with a loss of power. I would check the seal around the turbo inlet -what ever kind of clamp or pipe that goes into it. If the engines runs and you don't hear a clatter, thats probably what it is. Otherwise it will smoke immediately and make clattering noises if the turbo goes, or it may make no noise but will smoke out the exhaust heavliy. However, if there is no intake leak, better call your shop and advise.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    Samuelh and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  5. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    Sounds like one of your rubber boots blew out Take a closer look at them. Simple fix 7585A3F6-C2C5-424B-AC05-C0E3402C9590.jpeg

Samuelh, magoo68, Hulld and 4 others Thank this.
  6. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Definitely sounds as though you ruptured a hump hose on the compressor outlet to the charge air cooler. If one is bad, be proactive and just change them all. Clamps too. I have also seen the air compressor inlet hoses rupture, but that is on the other side from where you heard the noise.

baha and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  7. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Agree with the fellas above. Had my cat apart replacing a coolant line. Must not have got one of the clamps tight enough when I put it back together. It waited til the engine was under load to let loose. Thought for sure my ex was trying to kill me with a car bomb. Dang that was a loud boom.

8. W900AOwner

W900AOwner Heavy Load Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Definitely sounds like a charge air boot ruptured...they sound like a bomb went off, then you lose power, boost, starts smoking and the pyrometer climbs like mad at that point. Really easy and cheap fix...

9. cmcinc

cmcinc Bobtail Member

May 22, 2018
    Thanks for your comments guys, i will check this today and get back to you.

10. cmcinc

cmcinc Bobtail Member

May 22, 2018
    Hello Guys,

So this is an update. The turbo was locked, fortunately it was still under warranty, this was replaced about 6 months ago.

They repair it and got it installed again, but the turbo has a loud noise that sounds like if it had an air leak when it is in idle, if you acelerate a little the noise stops but eventually it starts again.

Took it back to the turbo guys and They opened the turbo and according to them it looked fine, brought it back to my mechanic and install it again and it has the same issue.

We removed the hose that goes from the turbo to the intercooler, started the truck and the air coming from the turbo it’s really slow, i have another truck with the same engine and turbo and tested the same thing and the air coming out it’s super high compared to the other turbo.

Any thoughts on it?

Thank you!

11. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    It's a VGT right? Turbo actuator? Doesn't the ecm have to recalibrate when you remove the turbo?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.