Cummins ISX leaking oil and heavy CC oil smell

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Kansas, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Kansas

Kansas Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2009
    aircap, Ks.
    05 Volvo with an ISX Cummins. I can visually see a wet spot on back of motor/head from drivers side. During exhaust braking I get a pretty heavy crank case oil smell coming into the cab. Anybody have an idea of what might have sprung a leak back there? Looking around on my Cummins QuickServe account I see there "may" be a block-off plate back there of some sort??? The wet spot is up high around the head area. Any up pipes for the Cac system back there?

The motor doesn't seem to be using any oil, or not much at least. Oil changed last week, and I have put 2K miles on here in the last 4 days. Dispstik is still on full. But, its still wet on back of block, and every time I run the exhaust brake I have to crack the windows for fear of asphyxiation.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rollinsmoke

rollinsmoke Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Seen alot of 05' ISX's leak there. Usually no effect on performance just leaks oil down the side of your motor. Just a headgasket will usually fix it

4. pichu

pichu Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2009
    mexifornia
    the air inside the motor cant come out when you use jake (inside is a big turbulence )one reason is the Elbow of the pipe is to small its like the size of my breather in my Toyota you need to change it to the size3/4 to 1" or big like a caterpillar size elbow and pipe and change the gasket because its burnt :biggrin_25521:

VisionLogistics Thanks this.
  5. rollinsmoke

Dec 23, 2008
    And like pichu said you need to enlarge your breather tube. It will help stop alot of other oil leak

VisionLogistics Thanks this.
  6. Kansas

Kansas Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2009
    aircap, Ks.
    Haven't been back to the house to have the shop look at it. Hopefully its just a valve cover gasket. Otherwise I have been quoted 40-46 shop hours, $4 K for a new head, and another $1500 for a kit. Basically I am looking at $8K if its the head gasket!

How would you guys enlarge the CCV on this motor? Yall got me wondering, since the CCV elbow was recently changed if theres some sort of restriction in it now. How hard is that front cover to remove? Would a top facing hole in the valve cover be a better solution?

7. JohnP3

JohnP3 Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Rock Creek B.C. Canada
    Was it off really clean then run it up and look, be sure the vent is clean, you can remove the vent tube, and wash it out also. Find the leak then decide.

8. Kansas

Kansas Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2009
    aircap, Ks.
    Rollin, btw. Yeah, no effect in performance. She runs like a champ, that stink just scared the hell outta me LOL

9. rollinsmoke

Dec 23, 2008
    Seen lots leak but never needed a head to fix it

10. 660hater

660hater Bobtail Member

Nov 11, 2011
    mine has similar issues but is coinciding with a severe drop in oil pressure after 3-5000 miles, I don't have to change the oil just the filter and the pressure goes right back up for another 3-5k. Getting annoying and IS expensive :( I just tried lucas oil treatment to see if it would prolong the filter life but its not looking hopeful.
    However the stench from the exhuast when idling over night is unbearable!! sulphur and burnt gear oil is the only way to describe it. it comes and goes as it pleases.
    these two things are killing me! any advice?

11. country29

country29 Medium Load Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Arkansas
    what year and make is your truck? if it is older than a 2011 i have seen particularly in pb/kw 2010 models have exactly what you are describing, oil filters only lasting 5-10000 miles and oil press drop, what is happening is before 12/2010 the isx had a different piston design, and after time it let soot buildup in the engine and when it started burning it and coming loose, it clogged the oil filter and drop oil press. after 12/ 2010 they changed the piston design and seems to have taken care of the problem, this is only in the dpf engines 2008-present, i know this personnaly because i have dealt with the local cummins rep and discussed at length with him this issue had 2 trucks do it before i left the fleet i was working for and the updated piston change cured the problem, didnt seem to appear until the trucks had over 150k on them. just my .02

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.