2015 Cummins isx lope at idle while cold

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Petegraintrain, Dec 7, 2021.

1. Petegraintrain

Petegraintrain Bobtail Member

Sep 29, 2018
    2015 cummins isx cm2350 has a rough idle that shakes the whole truck but only in the winter time when its cold outside. It doesn't do it when its warm outside. What causes this?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ridin_rough

ridin_rough Bobtail Member

Apr 26, 2021
    Fuel actuators... I had this same problem on 5 isx engines 3 cm870, my current cm871 and 1 cm2250. All 5 truck were terrible until they warmed up and would idle fine. All summer, not a single issue. Replaced all 4 actuators and it was cured.
    They are expensive. I just replaced the ones on the truck I am driving.... $599.64 each $225 core (I pulled em off in the parking lot and took them in rather than $900 back n forth) that was at Peterbilt in Council Bluffs last Thursday. It takes about 30 mins to change all 4... T-30 socket with 6" extension and ratchet is all you need. Not worth wasting time in a shop over 12 small bolts. The 2 outside are metering the 2 inside are timing. EzPz.

4. Petegraintrain

Sep 29, 2018
    Ok I noticed you said "until they warmed up and would idle fine" see mine does it at operating temperature. When everything is warmed up

5. ridin_rough

Apr 26, 2021
    hmmm.... That sounds more like a sensor issue. Creat an account on cummins quick serve and register your engine serial number. You will be able to access diagnostic information and have a ton of useful resources if you don't have Insite to plug in. Most people can follow the diagnostic tree with no problem. Testing components will be fully dependent upon your abilities and tools. But if nothing else it should point you to your problem.

6. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    Replace your exhaust gas pressure sensor #4928594 and intake air temp./pressure sensor #2897334. Don't use the EBay/Amazon sensors. Already tried multiple times. CM2250 does not use fuel timing and metering actuators. Last was the CM871. Both sensors are DYI jobs. 1 hour to replace both.

7. ridin_rough

Apr 26, 2021
    That's true, but the 2250 does have a solenoid for each injector. Could be a connection issue with one of the wire harnesses. I have seen that before too. On my garbage def sucking truck, there was an issue with a broken wire from vibration. That in turn caused the 3 solenoids to crap out.... then a 4th. That problem did come and go with operating temps when the ambient temp was below 40°

8. Petegraintrain

Sep 29, 2018
    I uploaded a video to you YouTube. Its 6 degrees Fahrenheit right now and this is how it idles. The check engine light has nothing to do with it thags ruled out.

9. Petegraintrain

Sep 29, 2018

This is what it does. Check engine light has nothing to do with that.

10. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    What I told you to do is DYI, inexpensive, should be done annually. Do it. If it doesn't help, get truck to shop that understands how to use Insite to monitor for proper parameters and perform fuel decay test. This will find your problem. There is no magic fix that someone can post here.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  11. Petegraintrain

Sep 29, 2018
    Yup I replaced both those sensors and the ambient air temp sensor today. Will see if its fixed monday

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.