Cummins isx worth fixing?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Vivaspin, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Vivaspin

Vivaspin Bobtail Member

Oct 2, 2020
    Not a good week for me

Fuel pump blown on my isx cm871...

pulled off the valve cover and this is how it looks 77C68A25-DDC5-4990-ADEA-70496DCF204D.jpeg

Prostar with 900k miles. Towed it to the shop and now im just debating if its worth the fix.

Has had inframe overhaul by previous owner about 300k miles ago. Truck always was good and pulling strong. No coolant or oil leaks...

i imagine this to be the fix: new head, headgasket, new fuel pump and fuel pump housing gasket...

Am i missing something? I am also afraid that any debris might be sucked into the engine? What are u guys experience with this type of fuel pump failure?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Vivaspin

Vivaspin Bobtail Member

Oct 2, 2020
  4. haycarter

haycarter Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2012
    Australia
    I Think It will depend on how Much You're In love with (Or in Debt to) the Truck ? on your course of Action.!

If It was Mine (Which It Isn't) It would be either a S/H Motor from a salvage yard or a Full Out of Chassis Rebuild, depending My Bank Balance on the Day..

spsauerland Thanks this.
  5. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Pull a main bearing and check condition if the pump debris went through everything it’s a full rebuild

BoxCarKidd, spsauerland and haycarter Thank this.
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I think you answered your own question.
    If I was you ... i would have the pan dropped to see what is in it. May be not much other than a good cleaning out of the pan and a new pump.

7. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Ouch!!!! Dont forget, no core for the broken head casting. Probably a cam too.

8. Vivaspin

Vivaspin Bobtail Member

Oct 2, 2020
    Bought the truck for 10k and put around 2k into it. Imma just sell it as is or part out

9. haycarter

haycarter Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2012
    Australia
    Buy another one & use the Old one as a "spare parts" department.... Just a Thought..

magoo68 Thanks this.
  10. TTNJ

TTNJ Heavy Load Member

Nov 21, 2017
    My opinion is Engine is worth repairing but it probably isn’t worth putting back in that Truck.

11. AKDoug

AKDoug Medium Load Member

Mar 21, 2018
    That shrapnel went all the way through the engine. It is time for a total out of the truck rebuild. Then you have to be dang sure you got every bit of the metal. This is a known issue with 871's and that is why many recommend replacing the fuel pump guts on them and newer ISX's every 400K miles.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.