Cummins n14 exhaust tone

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Xzachtly, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Xzachtly

Xzachtly Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Illinois
    Greetings all!
    I drive a 96 t600 with a Cummins n14 and am looking for some exhaust opinions. When we bought the truck it was straight piped 5” from turbo to the y and then 6” stacks with bull hauler turnouts. I drove it that way for about 2 weeks but it was too loud so we put a walker performance muffler on it which quieted it down a lot. Now the stacks are beginning to get thin so we are looking to upgrade. My question is twofold; first, Is there any way of finding a middle ground between the performance muffler and the straight pipes? Not deafening loud but a nice idle/running tone but with usable jakes. Second question is do the stack tip styles have any effect on the volume level? I’m assuming that certain tips would run louder than others.
    Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    I think any kind of turn out makes it sound louder in the cab. Straight tips and as tall as possible should make it quieter in the cab

Xzachtly and KB3MMX Thank this.
  4. Xzachtly

Xzachtly Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Illinois
    That’s kinda what I was thinking, I’m thinking either miters or flat cuts this time. On another note does anyone know if the stack inserts will work horizontally? Thought about putting one in the straight section below the sleeper in place of the muffler

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.