Cummins x15 fuel tank heater

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by L3v1s, Nov 21, 2021.

1. L3v1s

L3v1s Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2014
    Hi all, I've this International HX520 with x15 that has fuel tank heaters which are supposed to keep the fuel in the tanks warm while the engine is running. I recently installed an Espar hydronic coolant heater to keep the engine warm in those brutal winter nights when engine is shut. What I'm wondering about is whether the coolant going trough the fuel tank heaters is plumbed to the same coolant cycle that the espar heater is connected to and will running the espar will warm the fuel too. I don't idle up until the temp drops below 25 and I never experienced any issues in the past using webast coolant heater and good fuel additive. What I'm trying to determine is whether the fuel tank heaters will be enough to go through the winter, or I should keep adding fuel antigel with every stop at the pump. I know that 10 bucks on top of every tank is nothing compared to a tow and shop bill for a frozen truck and I'm not planning to completely stop using additive, but with the current fuel prices it's vital to save every $ possible to maximize profit.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    I personally would always treat fuel regardless of the trucks equipment to prevent fuel gelling. I also would never trust that fuel out of any pump is considered treated to any temperature.

lester Thanks this.
  4. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Run the coolant heater some night then put a temp gun on your fuel tanks and see if they are much warmer than ambient

5. bavarian

bavarian Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Winnipeg
    I once had issues with my truck. Whoever ordered it, it came without a fuel filter heater. I got an APU installed. Had to battle quite a few times with a clogged filter. A heated filter bottom that is tee'd into the APU's coolant connection solved the problem.
    I barely use any conditioner. No tank heaters.
    If you run in the north only, you might not have any problems.
    It's only you who can figure out how your heaters are plumbed into the the engine. There is no general installation plan. It might cycle some coolant through your tank heaters, it may not.
    Fire the coolant heater up and see if you see a temp change at the coolant hoses at the tank heaters.

mothertrucker004 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.