Cummins x15 overhaul

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by sundog, Jul 15, 2021.

1. sundog

sundog Bobtail Member

Oct 16, 2011
    What is the average price to overhaul a Cummins X15?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    I’d guess 28 to 30k to have Cummins do it. That’s what it cost for an isx15.

4. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Not sure but you may also price a long block or crate engine. May be higher but would get full factory warranty. But you’ll have to replace a lot of components.
    I know a DD15 crate engine with everything including clutch snd new radiator snd other accessories came out to 48k with labor engine came with a 5 year/500k warranty from Detroit dealer.
    I know that’s now what you asked but merely another angle

sundog Thanks this.
  5. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Wait, what? How many miles are on that thing?

Jacoooooooo and Ruthless Thank this.
  6. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    Why do all these new engines need to be rebuilt? I see all the time on used trucks they have 500k on them and a fresh rebuild? Who would buy one of these things used if it's that much of a crap shoot that it will need a rebuild that fast?

joey8686 Thanks this.
  7. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    I have 3 trucks with DD15’s one will hit 1 million miles by end of year. Brother his wife run team. A cousin drives the other it’s pushing right around 700k
    Mine is over 500k
    No issues really of any kind. Most of it comes I believe drivers are not operating these engines correctly, however truck owners have a big part in that, they don’t provide apu’s. Idling long hours is a slow and premature death for these engines.
    Maintenance is not usually done when it needs to be done. Fleets do bare minimum to get trucks to remain in warranty then dump them. I know some friends who have x15 and it is in a team operation I think it’s around 700k miles
    If they stop engine is off. Oil changes done at 20k and Def filter changed every 100k miles. This ######## of 50k mile oil changes of more is nothing more than planned obsolescence. Cater to the cheap ### mega #### box fleets who want to run 75k intervals. Makes them get chubbies thinking they saving big money
    By doing less maintenance.
    I believe in proactive maintenance nothing gets run to end of life. Knock on wood in 30+ years none of my trucks have ever been on a hook. Very rarely down for unscheduled maintenance.
    Someone asked why the new engines don’t last so that’s my 2 cents as a small fleet owner snd also as a fleet shop foreman of 8 years with 400 trucks and 900 trailers.

8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Just about every used truck in my state has a rebuild.. it don't matter what it is or how many miles or what motor. It has a fresh rebuild within 100k miles.

77fib77 and Magoo1968 Thank this.
  9. Wespipes

Wespipes Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2019
    Your problem is going to be parts. There's people out there been waiting MONTHS for a cummins rebuild kit. Best to NOT take it to a dealer. Idk where you're at but I'd call haggai in griffin, GA. And limp it to him to get it done. It'll probably save you 10k or more and he more than likely can use his connections to get the parts

Dera209, spindrift and jason6541 Thank this.
  10. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I wonder if it's not necessarily that the engine needs rebuilding but that's what shops tell everyone. Like probably the $15,000 aftertreatment system and sensors are all jacked up after 500,000 miles of abuse and no maintenance but the shops can make $30,000 selling an inframe as the right fix. Then later on when there are still problems they've got an expensive aftertreatment system to work on. Job security. Or maybe I'm just cynical and these modern diesels really are absolute garbage that need to be thrown away at 500,000 miles. Well I guess there's no way to not be cynical any way you look at it?

joey8686, 77fib77 and dirthaller Thank this.
  11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Many don’t.

there are two issues

One is a poorly trained mechanic/piss poor managed shop where the mechanic is a parts changer but nothing else.

The second is the now the PM is managed, no OA, no Dyno and blowby, so many times the owner is clueless to the actual condition of the engine so the first time there is a problem … they get … “needs an overhaul”.

YardMule89 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.