Currently in school somewhat shocked at the amount of prehire letters I'm getting

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by ttypewe4jim, Jul 23, 2018.

1. ttypewe4jim

ttypewe4jim Light Load Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Hey guys just wanted to make a post and ask if my experience is normal? For background purposes I've had stable work history and a medical card for well over 10 years now but no cdl endorsements yet. I'm somewhat shocked at this point on how many companies are willing to hire straight out of school it's somewhat overwhelming. Shockingly the only companies I've had some no's from is LTL companies without 1 year experience.

Gonna be coming out of school with doubles, tanker, hazmat, twic and passport. Ideally I want to go the tanker route but I'm also considering LTL linehaul simply for the stability and benefits... for me probably the most important thing is health insurance and 10-15 year income my fiancee is disabled and will never really be able to feasibly work full time. I'm located just south of philly in Delaware I'm just struggling with the internal decision of where to go.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Do you want OTR or local/regional?
    Will your fiancée ride along with you?

4. ttypewe4jim

Feb 21, 2018
    Open to regional and OTR ideally local work but really want to setup myself for the best position I can. I understand "hometime" isn't that great with local work. No ride along most likely especially since most tanker companies do not allow it due to restrictions at receivers

5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I have to run an errand; will check my notes when I get back and see what I can come up with.
    Some other drivers will check in with you and give you some leads.

Puppage Thanks this.
  6. Bwbibb

Bwbibb Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Go tanker if your interested in it. Where do you live? You willing to locate?

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If SSdI is in process or valid for the disability on the person's part that eliminates part of the problem. Medicare kicks in after two years for that from day one once processed by SSA. If the disability is mental health or some other issue, then it becomes a SSI problem. And there are a stack of rules about how that money can or cannot be used and by who.

Since you two are not married you two are two seperate people. But when and if you two do marry, then you both become one person financially for all intents and purposes.

Trucking OTR is long term. You will be gone alot.

LTL means less than truckload. One trailer could contain as many as 30 or more stops it will take you at least a week if not more to go through all those stops by hand. And you have to be on time with everyone of them. One example was we had 21 drops in Iowa across the state, the two of us as a team after loading off US 1 in Delaware with plants going to those stores in Iowa. So a total of two days to get into the State from Delaware 5 days M through F to unload all of them and half a day to dispose of the trailer and get a empty off company yard in Denver or some such and get back to normal OTR work.

Truly local means you are home every night. But you are never really able to do anything but go straight to bed because it's less than 8 hours before you have to head back out again next morning before sunrise or make ready to. One company had me ready to roll at 2 am every morning so that I will make Altoona about a bunch miles distant in ice during winter weather in the mountains by 8 Am. I usually did not get back to home yard and home until about 6 PM each night. Already late to bed. No time for anything except clean up.

Finally but not last. If something did come up you are not going home today. It will be a while. So whatever it going on at home that is a problem for someone else to take care of. You deal with trucking. You cannot deal with anything else but that until you are home on time off, with the clock already running against when you have to go out again.

ttypewe4jim and okiedokie Thank this.
  8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    North American Bulk Transport - Bear, Delaware - local - dry bulk cement tankers - hire new cdl grads.
    FFE (Frozen Food Express) - terminal in New Jersey - OTR
    Ozark Motor Lines - rider & pet policy
    Calex Logistics - does California runs and lots of produce back to the Northeast.
    Foodliner - terminals in Delaware - food grade tankers -ad has "Just out of school? Contact us to find out how you can join our team."
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Trimac Transportation - recent driving school graduate from a Trimac approved school.
    CDL-A (Regional) Truck Driver Company Driver, Philadelphia, PA/Wilmington,DE
    $62,400 a year
    Apply On Company Site
    Company Drivers Can Make Up To $ 62,400 per year
    Regional / Hauling - Dry Bulk
    $3,000 Sign-On Bonus
    $1,500 Referral Bonus
    Hauling Cement products
    Up to 5 days out at a time, home for 2 days. Days of week worked may vary depending on load delivery date
    Estimated Miles: 2000-3000
    Estimated 60 hours a week
    Home Weekly

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    [​IMG]
    Dedicated Ecolab Martinsburg Truck Driver - Dover, DE
    $5,000 Sign on Bonus!
    CDL-A Required!
    Transport America is excited to offer a dedicated opportunity in your area! This is a solo route where you will haul industrial cleaning supplies from Martinsburg, WV to customer’s locations throughout the Northeast. Find comfort in a salary based pay structure with the opportunity to earn more based on individual performance. This dedicated position guarantees you more time with your family and friends with weekly home time. We ensure a friendly work environment where you will be rewarded for a job well done with a fleet leader who’s ready and willing to invest in your career!
    PAY & MILES:
    • $1,200 Orientation Pay - Must successfully complete orientation
    • $100 Wal-Mart Gift Card - Must successfully complete orientation
    • $5,000 Sign on Bonus- Must successfully complete orientation!
    • Salary pay + mileage pay for anything over 2,200 miles/week
    • Averages 2,000 miles/week
    • Home weekly
    BENEFITS:
    • Vacation Pay
    • Generous Assessorial Pay: Paid detention time, paid layover, breakdown pay
    • Interactive Orientation: We cover transportation, private hotel room, 2 meals & $100/day
    • Comprehensive Benefits: Health, Life, Dental, Vision, 401(k) Plan includes company match.
    REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hazmat Endorsement
    • Tanker Endorsement
    • Valid Class A CDL
    • DOT Qualified
    • Minimum of 21 years old
    • Must pass a comprehensive drug test
    • Satisfactory safety and employment history

MBAngel Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    PI&I Motor Express has Teamsters Union benefits and health insurance.
    Not sure they hire in DE, but maybe do. It's a flatbed outfit.
    They do hire new cdl grads and send recruiters to a few cdl schools.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

John B. Hood and MBAngel Thank this.
  11. ttypewe4jim

Feb 21, 2018
    Thanks everyone. With regards to the above we are going on year number 3 fighting for disability for her, she has never really worked enough to make much off it but we are trying to still proceed with it. The issue is she has a nerve disease that makes it extremely difficult for her to do day to day stuff...but in the eyes of the government she can "work a job that fits her disability " well we have been trying to find her something for a while now unsuccessfully.

I do have a possible in at in with north American bulk so we shall see what happens.

x1Heavy and Chinatown Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.