Currently leased but wondering g if it's even fair.

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Danh85, Jun 2, 2022.

1. Danh85

Danh85 Bobtail Member

Jun 7, 2021
    Nampa idaho
    Currently leased to a friend, I know big mistake. I pay 10%, my own fuel, repairs (sometimes they help with labor no money though as we are all handy), insurance, and they bought a trailer before I was ready and I agreed to make the payments. I make the trailer payment every month about 650. But in my honest opinion feel that 10% is a little much being that I pay for everything already. Yes, I do have my dot and mc just never got the insurance. I just never wanted to start a business again and when they found out how workman's comp was i just screw it I'll help get you off the ground. Now a year later we are still treading the same water. I have plans of putting a driver in a truck but hesitant as they may try charge the same 10%. So asking you guys if I am just being to naive or?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lyle H

Lyle H Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    This is your truck right?
    You are buying the trailer too?
    10% for them supplying cargo insurance and lining up all the loads and collections is fair.

4. Chieftains

Chieftains Medium Load Member

Jul 18, 2021
    It's more then fair. He tries to rent a trailer in this market. He is at 1k+ some even pay 1300 a month.
    10% is a little on the low side.
    That's the trade off on being leased.

5. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    This guy able to lease on new drivers at that rate? I'd be all over it.

6. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    I don’t see the problem.
    10% is fair.
    Your truck, your fuel.
    You don’t have an ACTIVE dot number cause you never got insurance.
    I pay $720/month for my trailer.
    I’d say usually 80/20 or even 85/15 if he’s gotta find loads and wait 15-30-60 or up to 90 days to collect money from freight from brokers.

7. Danh85

Danh85 Bobtail Member

Jun 7, 2021
    Nampa idaho
    Sorry never got an email saying there was replies. I posted a new thread similar to this one. Sorry.

No I'm not buying the trailer as they said rent.
    They do not supply any insurance.

8. Danh85

Danh85 Bobtail Member

Jun 7, 2021
    Nampa idaho
    I fi
    I find my own loads and pay my quick pay. But even then it can be 7-10 business days before being paid. Factored loads are the same way

9. Danh85

Danh85 Bobtail Member

Jun 7, 2021
    Nampa idaho
    Sorry didn't see any of this. The trailer fees are rentals. No they do not pay insurance. I find my own loads. Sontimes I use a dispatcher but it's rare

10. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    I was set up with quick pay for one broker out of MN, cause they pay between 30-45 days, i never used the quick pay, it was either 2.5 or 3% from smart freight funding/bulkloads.

I’ve called that company several times over the years about loads, and last time was yesterday, but they always want to pay $250 less then loads I’ve hauled for others going to same destination.
    So i’ve yet to use them.

11. Danh85

Danh85 Bobtail Member

Jun 7, 2021
    Nampa idaho
    Yea we've been using the option when it's available. If we wait it is always 30+ days out before getting paid

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.