Curtain Flatbed Companies? (Curiosity)

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by bigcountrync89, May 6, 2019.

1. bigcountrync89

bigcountrync89 Bobtail Member

May 15, 2018
    So I've been pulling flatbed for awhile and I have zero complaints. I see a lot of curtains and a lot of traditional flat bed companies don't seem to run them much from what I've noticed. Are there companies out there that predominantly run them or only run them?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Long Haul Trucking only runs them I do believe.

larry2903 Thanks this.
  4. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    Having curtains across the front windows gives you more room to sprawl as you please. It also helps to cut out more sunlight, esp if both sets are closed. I would have figured that flatbeds had curtains in them. Of course the trucks don't seem to come in them anymore, you have to pay extra when ordering a new truck, or get them from a truckstop store.

HoneyBadger67 Thanks this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    He's referring to the Conestoga trailers where the loads are protected by curtains on both sides of a trailer.

We used one in my first OTR trucking to Kentucky dedicated to pick up GM auto glass that went onto racks in Lexington, curtains shut, back across to Baltimore we went. Curtains open, GM forklifts it out in a few minutes. It worked out well, what with the mountain winter lessons and so on with that trailer and truck that winter. Most of all I do in trucking during any winter dates back to that specific season and that trainer's lessons. The mountains were a good teacher. Snow up top., icing half way down and rain at the bottom and back through the series you go for 5 more passes until Jane Lew then Hurricane and on through to KY.

it's a form of flatbed. But the cargo requires protection in a different way. Hence the curtains on the sides.

Now one poster stated that some trucks have cab curtains. Those are very good to have. Once closed, you can feed Heat or AC off the front of the entire space and have your sleeping situation perfect in temperature and privacy. When two people are in there, it's easier with that much more space to consider it a home when all zipped or velcroed shut. Sometimes you can roll off the front windshield curtain and feed the glass with max defrost heat. No matter how bad old man winter got in the night, your glass is clear and ready for battle come morning.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  6. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    Now this is the case of confusing the word "curtain". Never thought of an outside curtain since I thought they were called covered wagons.

7. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    Covered wagon, curtain side, conostoga. All different types of covered flats.

D.Tibbitt and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Covered wagons are flatbeds equipped with extruded tubes and foam panels between and a one tarp over the top front to back. Defined by stakes on the side to hold entire tarp rolled aside to load.

Who knows I called the curtainsiders covered wagons for years. And vice versa.

If I said just a flatbed then no body is happy. =)

9. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Covered wagon is a flatbed with a side kit, whole different animal than a curtain side, and much more versatile in my opinion. A curtain side just limits a guy too much for my taste, good for guys that have some physical problems that would otherwise force them to having to pull a box.

10. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Maverick has them but only on dedicated accounts.

11. Aamcotrans

Aamcotrans Road Train Member

May 24, 2016
    Strasburg, Va
    Wylie has them for their glass only division.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.