Custom truck drive train questions

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Eric Strongbear, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Eric Strongbear

Eric Strongbear Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2020
    I've had this idea bugging me for a while now that I want to try my hand at modifying an older pre-emissions truck to suit my goals for when I start working for myself and the part of my projects would be construction and renovation.

Anyway, my thought is that the build would involve a 12v92, preferably a Silver Series if I could find one, backed by an Eaton RTLO-22918B, and three axles, the rub being idk if I want one drive axle and two lift axles or tandems and one lift axle. I'm leaning towards a single drive axle since with tandem lift axles I can raise them and run as a 4x2 and reduce rolling friction and thus save some fuel, however I think it could be a problem in wet weather because I would imagine a single puts more power to the ground at each wheel as compared to tandems and that would, in theory, make it easier to spin out on wet or icy pavement. What's the reality of the situation? Thanks in advance

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    A 12v92 is going to be a fuel hog, one axle on the road instead of two isn't going to improve it much. What are you planning to be pulling around that you're thinking 3 axles instead of the typical tandem?

alds Thanks this.
  4. Eric Strongbear

Mar 5, 2020
    Frankly I'm not sure what I'll use it for, my main thought is using it to haul construction equipment and not have to worry about potentially needing to deal with overweight permits. My main thoughts as to what I'll be doing when I start working for myself would be building communities for Whites, that includes housing, grocery stores, fitness centers, etc., and using this truck in stocking said grocery stores, fitness centers, etc

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    You'd be crazy to have a single drive axle on a truck that hauls equipment. You'd never be able to get under an RGN in less-than-ideal ground conditions.

6. Eric Strongbear

Mar 5, 2020
    RGN?

7. Eric Strongbear

Mar 5, 2020
    Just looked it up

8. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    I though the 12v were only 72, but I could be wrong, still only ~450 hp, big in the 80s, not so much today, short of driving it down to the store to get beer, I really have no desire to listen to one of those things all day to begin with

Roger McG, alds and Tug Toy Thank this.
  9. Eric Strongbear

Mar 5, 2020
    Nope, there are 12v92s, they're a beast of an engine at that, ~700 horsepower and ~2,000 lb-ft of torque for the turbo, aftercooled version

10. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Rebuilt many a 2 stroke Detroit’s in the service. Love to hear a finely tuned 2 stroke screaming under a load working hard. Beautiful sound
    That and a Continental AV 1790 V12 pure music to the ears.

11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Remember that bridge laws come into play on four and five axle trucks.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.