Customizing your Company Truck sleeper

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by MommaKay, Dec 15, 2007.

1. MommaKay

MommaKay Light Load Member

Sep 21, 2007
    Green Bay, WI
    Hi gang,

I've just been assigned my first truck, a 2004 Freightliner Century Classic midroof which has no cabinets or storage areas above the bunk. This is about as bare-bones a truck as I've driven so far outside of school. On the other hand, it's mine. :)

Do any of you have any suggestions as to how I might increase the storage and liveability of my sleeper area? I'm going to be installing a cooler/fridge, CB, television and that sort of thing, but mostly I'm looking for suggestions on the extreme lack of storage space. Under the bunk there's a fair amount, but I'm not yet sure just how dry and clean stuff will stay down there.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    FL didn't put much storage over the bunk, in the larger sleepers it is in front of the bunk. The HVAC for the bunk is under the bunk on the left side facing it, you don't want to obstruct that or it either won't work or you will damage it and it won't work. The center compartment will hold a fair amount of things but you need to lift the bunk to get at it

If you have the small sleeper with no cabinets at all, you will probably end up with a cooler on the passenger seat and the bunk itself. That bunk is long enough so that you can keep a suitcase on it on the end opposite your head when you are asleep, that's what I used to do. I love the 70 inch condo I have now for the amount of room in it. I don't care what the resale is on the company truck I drive.

4. K&J

K&J Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Central Florida
    Remember those closet shoe organizers you buy in Wally World or Kmart? They work great for storage. We got the one that would go on a door back (shoes slip in from the front not the sides). It has 24 pockets big enough for 1 shoe each and I hung it on the side of the closet but you could velcro it anywhere and it is a great spot for storing all the little crap, cups and of course your extra shoes LOL. Pens, meds, wipes, garbage bags, toiletries, books, etc all fit great and it only costs about 8 bucks. We run team and have a small fridge for food storage in the cabinet and a 12v cooler for drinks but if you are solo one would probably work. For under the bunk, milk crates work great to keep your stuff organized and you can remove one without all the other crap falling into its spot.

5. MommaKay

MommaKay Light Load Member

Sep 21, 2007
    Green Bay, WI
    Thanks for the ideas, guys. It's a 72" sleeper, so it does have the vertical cabinets behind the seats, forward of the bunk, but the lower ones will fill up quickly with the fridge and porta-potti, and the tv takes up one of the four uppers.

6. myminpins

myminpins Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2007
    Dartmouth, NS, Canada
    Do you have two bunks? We always had a ton of stuff on top of the bunk in various drawers, suitcase, etc.

You can get cheap plastic drawer/cabinets from wally world and I used a bunch of them, held down with Velcro and/or bungy cords :)

7. Scarecrow03

Scarecrow03 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    Freightliner mid-roofs only have the one bunk.

8. myminpins

myminpins Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2007
    Dartmouth, NS, Canada
    Thank you. Didn't know that!!:biggrin_25514:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.