CVSA Road Check Park-in?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Fairweather, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Fairweather

Fairweather Light Load Member

May 8, 2018
    So, I have a question/idea.

Normally, I avoid spending any rest breaks at scale house parking lots unless I have absolutely no other choice; I equate it to a fly taking a nap in the spider's web. However, I was thinking that maybe, during the CVSA blitz, it would be beneficial to spend rest breaks in one of their parking spots.

The spots are there for our use and every spot filled by a driver on a rest break is a spot that can't hold an OOS truck.

Since the new DOT guidance prohibits them from disturbing drivers on a rest break, I don't think they can harass me and if enough trucks parked at the weigh stations, they wouldn't have anywhere to send OOS trucks, right?

Am I missing something? Probably.

pmdriver Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It's still a spiders web.

You get up. Yawn, drink something pretrip hop into drivers seat, the last 18th of your tire is out of the box

HEY!! YOUSE> PULL HERE< IMPSECTONTIME.

sevenmph Thanks this.
  4. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Are you going to argue with the officer when he comes around and asks you to move? Because they have the nerve to tell you what to do, not ask.

KB3MMX and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. ACO476

ACO476 Light Load Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Texas
    How about you just make sure your crap is in order and carry on like the professional that you are supposed to be?

Just a thought.

Aamcotrans, Tb0n3, KB3MMX and 11 others Thank this.
  6. Fairweather

May 8, 2018
    The professional American trucker that I am supposed to be is man enough to protest illegal arrest, like when I'm held against my will and without PC in an hour long inspection bay line, and illegal search, like when trucks are herded en masse and without probable cause into a "fishing hole" so the SS, I mean DOT, can paw over my equipment in an attempt to take food off my family's table, all while I'm delivering the food that goes on their's.

My crap is in order. My time and civil rights are also valuable. Are yours?

Just a thought.

7. Fairweather

May 8, 2018
    If I am out of hours and on my rest break then, yeah, I probably would argue with him. At the very least, I would confirm on video that he has woken me from my rest break and is instructing me to get back on the highway with no available drive hours left.

I can't really see them doing that.

Again, current guidance is to leave drivers alone while on their rest break. The officer's job is to make the roads safer and disturbing the sleep cycle of drivers runs contrary to that objective.

8. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    The guy has valid points^^^^^^^^^ I'll give him that.

deathB4decaf and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  9. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I just keep my crap in order so I dont have anything to worry about... Then I do my best to legally dodge as many of the scale houses as I can. In about 2 to 4 hours (dependant on how long to get unloaded, I showed up at lunch time) I'll be home anyway.

10. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Yes. If you're in the way, you're going to be told to move, guidance (which they are under no obligation to abide by) or not. Maybe you'll even get a bonus inspection. Make a big deal about it, about your "rights," and I guarantee you'll got the most thorough Level 1 you've ever had.

If there is parking available it is for your convenience and only at the pleasure of the state/scale. You don't have any right to it and they are not obliged to let you stay if they need the space for operations. I am not adverse to parking at a scale (and did so quite a bit), but I only ever parked at ones where I didn't have to cross the scale to leave.

Oh, and the whole "civil rights/illegal arrest/probable cause/etc." thing is nonsense. You work in a regulated industry. It's just that simple.

11. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Do you want restaurant owners to have their kitchens inspected by the man?
    What about the man wasting the truck stop’s time by checking the pumps to make sure they’re accurate?
    Isn’t the TA and Petro offering free inspections to find any problems?

You should enjoy looking back there at all the out of service trucks while you drive off with your pretty little ‘pass’ sticker on the windshield.

Rideandrepair and otterinthewater Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.