CVSE lawsuit

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by HighwaySuperTramp, Feb 3, 2019.

1. HighwaySuperTramp

HighwaySuperTramp Medium Load Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Question guys, I heard a rumor about the new BC chain laws and I can't find anything about it. Apparently a company is actually filing a lawsuit against CVSE for making their alternative to chains illegal, after the company contacted CVSE to confirm the alternative was legal and accepted, then installed them on the entire fleet. Now the company has to have the alternative removed or carry chains plus the additional device.

Anyone else hear this? Or did I get a fish story?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    They'll probably waste more money on the lawsuit with high-priced lawyers than to just convert back to chains. And from what I've heard the "alternatives" aren't as good as old-fashioned chains.

3noses Thanks this.
  4. HighwaySuperTramp

Feb 8, 2015
    Part of the rumor I heard was the company had auto chains. Not cheap to have installed and not fast either.

Zeviander Thanks this.
  5. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Sucks to be them? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Laws change, companies have to adapt to them in order to keep doing business. Where are all the companies protesting and bringing up lawsuits for the ELD's?

6. HighwaySuperTramp

Feb 8, 2015
    Sucks to be CVSE. They had them installed this year before the season hit and CVSE changed the law 2 months into the season.
    I know they broke a law there somewhere, or will pay because they approved them. Or so I heard.
    That's my whole issue, I'm fine with changing the law, but either do it BEFORE or AFTER not during.

magoo68 Thanks this.
  7. Canucklehead

Canucklehead Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    I've installed auto chains on two of my trucks before. They work just fine on grades, and the rock in crap lots too. I never had a single issue with them. They have been perfectly legal for the last few years. I got them when they first came out, and carried paperwork with me that showed the regulations allowing them, just in case I ran into a twit DOT. Yes they only cover the inside wheel. But I've been driving in BC for almost 40 years now, and unless I've got a train behind me, a set of singles is all you need. Honestly, I'm also one of the dreaded super truckers that goes up barefoot from time to time, even empty. I didn't get the autos because I'm lazy, they were just for the times I was in doubt after starting up. I always had a set of singles with me, on the scale side, just to save getting pulled in for no reason. And when the road was really bad, it was so nice just to flip a switch, and then flip it off at the top. Like some on here, yeah I can hang chains real quick. But why bother, and it was my money.

Yes, they are expensive to put on. Even more so now because our dollar is in the toilet. I just picked up another truck last fall and had gotten all the measurements done before ordering the autos. Luckily I just missed getting boned by the government by 2 days. Once ordered you don't get your money back because they come straight from the factory custom made to your specific measurements. You can't take them off and put them on another truck unless everything about it is identical.

So I do feel sorry for the company that has just taken a large hit because of the new magic rules. In fact, over the years I even recommended to companies to put them on. Given that most of the drivers now don't have a clue how to hang chains, it would be safer for their trucks and their loads, also, no excuse for pulling over because there's snow on a hill. Customers remain happy. Oh, and with no new rules, they also relaxed the operating contract for the road maintenance companies regarding snow amounts. It's not like they ever followed them before anyways. But increasing the amount of chains, removing some types that had been allowed, and allowing less plowing, all at the same time smells like a large government rat.

But, having said all that, good riddance to the auto sock things.

magoo68, HighwaySuperTramp and sirjeff Thank this.
  8. HighwaySuperTramp

Feb 8, 2015
    I can't say I agree with your AutoSock point, as I have always been a firm believer of pulling over if the chain lights are on. I always carried them to save weight and to help in customer yards that are sheets of glass. Other than that I always hated chains because of a bad lower back. Crawling in between the tandems to throw triples was never something I could handle then be expected to have a painless rest of the day. Singles I can do but still, I don't like throwing them and I doubt I ever will. In a world with such high safety standards, driving up a mountain when you need chains should be illegal, and these snow removal contractors should actually be held to a standard and enforced.

Or have a system like the US does. Close the road until it's safe to drive then re-open it.

Canucklehead Thanks this.
  9. 3noses

3noses Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Clearwater, B.C.
    Update on the Autosocks..I contacted the Autosock company and suggested to them, in the interest of customer satisfaction, that they stop marketing them as legal in B.C, and perhaps consider issuing refunds to people who bought them for use here. Or at a minimum, warn their distributors about selling them. I was surprised to hear back from them almost immediately, but instead of doing that, they have full confidence in their product and are planning on appealing the decision to remove them from the approved traction devices list in jurisdictions that have done so, such as B.C. Only the lawyers will come out ahead on this one, I think..

10. Canucklehead

Canucklehead Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    I know what you mean. I have a back torn in two places, a trashed knee, and both shoulders are toast. Sucks when you don't heal properly. I also know what it's like to be in pain for a day. But what really sucks for me is I can't do deck work anymore, although if I pick up a Van Kam or Overland sled that's been pre-loaded, I can check and tighten any of the straps if needed. And decks are one of the only things left where you can make money. Oh well, vans and cans for me now.

11. HighwaySuperTramp

Feb 8, 2015
    My boss bought a couple curtainsides and gave me one to run. I'm liking the activity which helps a lot of my aches. I find if I keep things moving I'm okay for the most part, long as I can avoid awkward twisting. Plus the physical works helps keep me in shape. I still miss reefer from time to time though.

Canucklehead Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.