D13 exhaust leak backside of turbo

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Metalicious, Sep 24, 2022.

1. Metalicious

Metalicious Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2015
    Okay, just bought the truck about a month ago. About 1800 miles ago started getting an eek sound only when the ishift transmission would shift. Now its pretty much constant when driving, and engine braking. If I let off accelerator and coast the obnoxious noise stops. Found where it's leaking, appears the two bolts on the backside where it bolts to exhaust manifold are loose. One tightened up, the other just spins. Any ideas? Hoping I can avoid replacing the turbo. Is it too late, you think? I imagine that would explain poor fuel mileage (5.25mpg), and feeling like the truck runs the same loaded or empty?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Joyce's Volvo

Joyce's Volvo Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2016
    Is the stud turning or just the nut? Make a line on the stud and try turning the nut 1/4 turn if you can’t see the stud ( if you are using a socket) the line will be clocked if stud , could be threads stripped in nut or stud. If nut and can’t get it to turn off, split it and the stud be long enough to space out to where the threads are good enough to retighten. If stud, you can put a heillie coil in. No doubt the exhaust gaskets are shot at that leak, figgier on pulling the manifold. Not sure by your description if it’s manifold to head or manifold to turbo ,usually turbo mounting is 4 bolts with gasket, some are studded and some are bolts going all way through with nuts.

Metalicious Thanks this.
  4. Metalicious

Sep 27, 2015
    I can get the bolt out. The bolt looks fine. I think whoever had it apart last stripped the hole put over tightening the bolt. If there is 4 bolts there the other 2 must be on the other side. The part am talking about is the bolts that go through manifold to the turbo. To tighten the backside of turbo housing to the flange of the manifold. I got it to quiet down a little tightening the left bolt but the right one, no dice. I'm sure I'll probably have to take the turbo to have it rebuilt by the time I get home Friday. I been getting crap mileage the whole time I've had the truck. I think it probably started off a small exhaust leak, and just got worse. But considering all the issues with the turbo thus far, 5.2mpg doesn't sound too bad. Could be worse I imagine.

5. Metalicious

Sep 27, 2015
    Would you happen to know where to find specifics as far as horsepower of a turbo HE400VE? I noticed my truck I just bought from this guy nearly two months ago actually has a HE400VG, which from what I can tell is only good for 440 HP, not the 455 the engine is rated for. I am confused as hell about this. Bruckners in Ft. Worth says the turbo that should be on it is HE400VE.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.