Damages done to truck?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Trucknlyfe, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Trucknlyfe

Trucknlyfe Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2017
    I recently left a company I was leased with, the company wanted to retrieve their eld/gps/plate/logos we were supposed to meet at the truck with a peace officer so they can retrieve items but I never got a call and figured they just let it go. The company owner called the peace officers to truck without me and they only allowed him to retrieve the logos/stickers off the truck. The owner came back to the truck a second time without the peace officers and somehow broke into my truck to remove items and damaged/broke items while doing so and it also looks like something has been poured into my engine oil because the cap was missing and I see fine dust particles in the process he took the wrong license plate. I reported this to the police they took the report and actually called the guy and he admitted that he came back to the truck and that he was in possession of the license plate. The police told me that it’s open shut in terms of proving he entered my vehicle because he admitted he went back to the vehicle a second time. So I need advice I’m sending the truck to the shop to get an estimate I don’t know know if the engine is serverly compromised or not but wouldn’t a powdery substance poured into the engine flush out during an oil change or am I looking at a rebuild (Cummings isx 2012). My truck note is due and it looks like it makes no sense to pay the note on a truck that has no warranty and that I might not be able to use any longer. So I guess another question would be advice from someone who may have experienced similar sabotaging is I know I can sue this guy for any damages based on his admission of accessing vehicle a second time. But Since I can no longer use the vehicle possibly would I be able to sue him for getting the vehicle reposed so that I can also pay what’s owed on it and/or sue for loss of use? Maybe someone has gone thru similar! And yes I will be getting an estimate and speak with an attorney thereafter.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tlalokay

tlalokay Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2014
    El Paso, TX
    If you care about your credit, pay the truck note until you receive any potential judgment in your favor. Even after a judgment, there's no guarantee you'll get paid.

4. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    First thing after talking to the cops should have been to call your lawyer.

FlaSwampRat, Trucknlyfe, Tb0n3 and 4 others Thank this.
  5. Michael 247

Michael 247 Heavy Load Member

Nov 20, 2017
    Dublin Va
    I would have got a sample of the Dust Particles and not start truck until I found out what the substance is and if is inside engine...once you start it it will go into oil system

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Don't you start that thing.

Lawyer first before anything else. Brief him, also brief the police detective that your rigs engine is potentially compromised and may need a total replacement rig.

DONT you start that thing for any reason. It's obvious the owner or whoever the other party is has access to it. Via a master key or some sort. Keep a eye on that thing. If it is started by other party then it's a form of property destruction with malice. Or even stabotage etc.

Your lawyer first before you do anything at all today.

In the old days of government junker for cash program, our shop used to pour a form of sand into the engine of the condemned vehicle. Once engine reaches operating temp and then goes beyond (Without coolant) it turns that sand material to liquid glass until engine locks up forever. Then the whole engine is taken out as literal junk.

My personal vehicle is on it's third crate engine, a survivor of that era.

FlaSwampRat and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  7. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    You should speak to an attorney asap.

FlaSwampRat and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  8. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    What Drama......
    Typical, idiotic carriers owner goes and puts stuff in the motor..8 year olds don't do that.
    Mess him up bad with a few right hooks to his jaw.

Plus,I wanna know what YOU did to pizz him off....if you need a peace officer,trouble started somewhere

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I was along that track of thinking what happened to enrage someone not to be able to think clearly about the possibility of the Lawman catching him trying to mess with a truck. THAT is the story I think we all are interested in hearing.

FlaSwampRat and stayinback Thank this.
  10. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    If you did not start the truck I would think that if they took the Jakes and Rockers off and took the pan down they can wash the engine out and you'd be okay.

Check inside the radiator also they didn't dump something in there.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    FlaSwampRat, stayinback and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    Tow to shop.
    Have the shop put down that it was necessary to do a full rebuild due to contamination throughout the engine.
    While it is apart replace any parts that will give you a headache latter. This should be cheaper to do since they already have it apart.
    Sue him personally as well as the company to make sure he pays.
    Sue for any lost revenue and of course damages.
    Get a truck rental and sue for that cost as well.
    Enjoy your paid time off as well as your rebuilt engine.

Only hard part is from now till he pays.

FlaSwampRat and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.