Dash cam shows ‘what can happen when you take away a truck driver’s following distance’

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by truckaholic001, Jul 29, 2021.

1. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Wonders if Canada has it on their books. Leaving the scene of the accident.
    Tho I would like to know their excuse

bzinger, NavigatorWife and BigBob410 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Just another reason to be in the right lane. The shoulder is your out. Middle lane has 0 outs when u get cut off.

4. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    The shoulder is not a safe out. As I understand it, if you take evasive action to avoid hitting someone that is already at fault for cutting you off, and your evasive action results in a collision causing damages or harm, you could now be considered at fault. Trying to get on the shoulder with little reaction time and distance on a slick surface is not safe.

In this case controlled braking and doing your best to maintain control by staying in your lane, trying to slow as much as possible to either avoid the blue car or lesson the damage to the blue car, would be the safest option, and least likely to have blame placed on you. As was stated above, he may have jackknifed due to over braking on the wet surface, so he might have been attempting to stay in lane.

5. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Two choices; federal or provincial:
    • Federal (Criminal Code):
      • Summarily: (less serious) the maximum punishment is imprisonment for up-to two years less a day.
      • By indictment: the maximum punishment is imprisonment up-to ten years.
      • Licence suspension of 1-3 years
    • Provincial (Traffic Act):
      • jail up to 6 months
      • 100% increase for insurance rates
      • possible licence suspension for up to 2 years all drivers
      • 30 day suspension for G1 and G2 drivers
      • 7 demerit points.
      • fine between $600 to $2,000

6. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    We can speculate all day long. But i have been in this situation many times and because i was in the right lane , there was a way out... you lose all your outs when in the middle lane and u get cut off... right lane the shoulder is there... hope the driver is ok

7. Don379

Don379 Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2021
    i find myself saying this alot lately but STUPID TRUCK DRIVER. HAs dash cam rolling then proceeds to put truck into wall n the account of someone elses stupidy. Spare me the save someones lie nonsense. But that that evasive ction crap could kill yourself and/or other innncent lives. Controlled hard brake and keep steering wheel straight and true. After that, its the famous ivan drago qoute "IF he dies, he dies"
    That doesnt even look like a hard brake. looks like he did a hard yank of steering wheel and that wasnt even a bad cut off situatio. noone else was braking and had plenty of time to slow down

Flat Earth Trucker and Magoo1968 Thank this.
  8. npok

npok Light Load Member

Sep 26, 2015
    I was wondering why he didn't start steering immediately.

After thinking about it, I wonder if he was standing on the brakes, then started steering without letting up. Drives are at/near the limit, so they go when he steers & there's no coming back.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  9. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Honestly, I think I would have plowed that car. I really don't know though. I'd say that car deserves to be plowed. I'll bet distracted driving is included in the charges.

10. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Normally I'd agree with you but knowing the area...

401 WB in Pickering, 5 lanes so still east of the split where the collectors begins. That middle lane will soon be the right lane. Some places always being in the right lane isn't possible and that's one of them.

That's also a location where traffic often starts to slow. Kind of hard to tell from the video but looks like they may be quickly catching slower traffic. There won't always be an out but space is key. Should have been slowing down to open up space even before the brake lights came on on the toyota.

11. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    This car driver is a prime example of what @TripleSix was explaining in a recent thread.

This four wheeler is one of those braindead folks who try to control the speed of a tractor trailer by getting ahead of the truck and slowing down upon changing lanes.

Hopefully the OPP dishes out what this braindead four wheeler needs.

Bud A., bzinger, TripleSix and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.