Dash valves

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Dino soar, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    My parking valves are leaking on my truck.

Is there any better or worse brand to buy?

Freightliner wants $185 for the parking valves. Is there a good alternative that is less expensive?

Someone mentioned rebuilding the valves with new O-rings. Is that a good option?

Cabinover101 and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    I've always just rebuilt mine. Easier than replacing the whole assembly. Although the parts guy looked at me funny when I requested a rebuild kit rather than new valves. Seems no one likes to sell rebuild parts anymore.

4. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    A mechanic suggested to me if rebuilding also replace the spool. I'm not sure what part in the valve that is.

He told me all the o-rings and the spool can be replaced from the front of assembly. It is not necessary to remove the valve from the dash.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Sure it's the dash valve, not a brake chamber?

6. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017
    It better not be.

Every one on the truck is brand new with 0 miles on them and all new airlines.

I'm going to double-check tomorrow to make sure it is not anything else behind the dash, as suggested.

But if I start the truck and let it build up to 120 and shut the truck off, I hear an air leak at the valve, or at least I hear it there where the valves are on the dash.

This is with the brakes locked.

Cabinover101 and baha Thank this.
  7. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    If your truck was parked for awhile you may get by with O-rings and maybe spools, just old O-rings.
    My experience with repairing plastic valves was not so good. Found the plastic wore where the O-rings travel. Repair often did not work or last.

8. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017
    Is there a better or worse brand to buy?

Is there any alternative to $185 at Freightliner?

I do not mind spending that if that is a reasonable price for something that is going to be good.

This is my first round buying them so I really I'm not sure on the price or what to buy or where.

9. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    is $185 going to kill you. check truck pro. online etc. dont rebuild buy new and be done with it. not worth a out of service or worse

10. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Not to poke fun, but aren't you the guy that loves their Frightliner? I don't recall the dash valves leaking on my Peterbilt,,,sorry, that was a low blow, maybe the air is backing up through the dash valves. 4 way valve sticking?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  11. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    I can’t remember if the blend door is air activated on those. You might try moving the selector and see if the leak changes.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.