DataQ and fighting a ticket, can I get it removed?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by 4noReason, Dec 2, 2022.

1. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    The long time gripe of drivers is that if you get a warning it's not actually a warning. If it's written it goes on your record and earns your carrier CSA points which can affect their insurance. The big problem is, while you can fight a ticket and get the points removed you cannot ever fight a warning. So those points are yours for the next three years.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    I understand it as a warning from police won’t affect your csa score unless it’s part of an inspection from a dot officer. I may be wrong I never looked into it.

When I got the 2x speeding tickets it was 6 years ago so csa wasn’t all put together well.

4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    What happened to the OP is they got a DOT inspection with violations along with what was supposed to be a State Issued warning. That upon his request was made a ticket. I have some friends that are DOT cops and what they tell me is most of the time when an inspection with violations is turned in the state MCSAP lead agency also expects to see a ticket. Some cops just issue a warning. This goes to satisfy some internal recordkeeping I still don't quite understand.

5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    The problem is, what most LEO's call a warning is no such thing. It's a written CVSA violation.
    Yes, if it's truly a warning with no paperwork and the like you are right. The other 99% of the time a warning is worse than a ticket as it can't be taken to court to remove the negative aspect (the violation) from both the drivers and companies records.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    Tb0n3 Thanks this.
  6. 4noReason

4noReason Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2012
    ya it was going to be warning on level 3 inspection. thats why i asked him for ticket. he then goes "no, im not giving you a ticket because you will fight it" after few min sitting in his car hes like "why are you so nervous" And i told him. i dont want to lose my job over this. thats when he goes ok here ill give you a ticket. but if you go to court ill be there

7. GoneButNotForgotten

GoneButNotForgotten Heavy Load Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Roxboro, N.C.
    Is this county in which the citation was issued somewhat local for you or were you just passing thru?

8. 4noReason

4noReason Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2012
    passing through. i hired a attorney. we will try to change this and hopefully then we can dataQ it. i have my fingers crossed but i will say . i had 0 reason to speed. open appt load. its just crazy how it ruins my day and weekend thinking of how fast a good career can go. yet i see people with multiple DUI get community service and walk away

GoneButNotForgotten Thanks this.
  9. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    And since it was brought up...

The anti-masking regulations refer only to conviction, not to a citation. What that means is plea bargaining is ok to do but make sure it's what you want before admitting to guilt for anything as once that happens it can't be changed.

Here is a good write up about it. It's from a traffic ticket lawyer so it's not 100% unbiased, but there is no wrong info there that I noticed.
    The Masking Prohibition - CDL Drivers and Traffic Tickets – North Star Criminal Defense

10. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I can't disagree with you. I had a chance to speak briefly with a local prosecutor that handles traffic cases near my home. What they told me was they considered the type of vehicle the CDL holder was operating and the seriousness of the charge. This person told me they don't generally change a charge if the vehicle was a CMV and the charge was serious. If they are in their POV and the driver is not driving drunk etc they are open to a deal. Courts all over the US differ in how they handle these cases. What I was attempting to get across in post # 31 was to warn drivers to NOT think getting a charge changed or having a finding of not guilty as automatic when fighting a charge. If you take a case to court the odds are you are going to lose.

11. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    I had a ticket last year for a red light. Just misjudged it down in NJ and got pulled over and ticketed. Before I got home for the weekend I had it plead down to a non-moving failure to yield ticket and that Saturday I had a mailbox full of lawyer letters offering their services. It was kind of funny.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.