Days may be numbered for Las Vegas HOV lanes

Discussion in 'Other News' started by Chinatown, Nov 23, 2022.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Las Vegas Review-Journal • Yesterday 9:00 PM
    [​IMG]
    Mr. Anthony told Fox 5 News that, as a matter of “fairness,” open all freeway lanes to all drivers. “I’ll tell you that I’m speaking for the vast majority of the public,” he said, “when I say those lanes need to be open for all of us to use and this HOV experiment is not working.”

Officials at the Nevada Department of Transportation, have spent hundreds of millions of dollars in recent years adding freeway capacity in Southern Nevada, only to restrict use of many new lanes or flyovers to vehicles with more than one occupant. Never mind that there’s scant evidence this has increased car-pooling or reduced emissions in the valley.

Only this year, more than a decade after foisting HOV lanes on the public, have state transportation officials finally embarked upon a serious study to determine who uses the restricted capacity. Yet just weeks ago, NDOT eliminated HOV lanes on Interstate 15 between Silverado Ranch and Spring Mountain to reduce backups while the Tropicana interchange is reconfigured. This was one of the areas in which the agency had placed surveillance technology able to determine passenger counts in vehicles using the HOV lanes.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  4. PacoTaco

PacoTaco Medium Load Member

Apr 16, 2016
    South Texas
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I use that HOV lane and run 80 mph and still get tailgated. At 80 mph, other vehicles right on my bumper blowing the horn and giving me the finger. They'll illegally pass me with the window rolled down, yelling and giving me the finger.
    I unsheathe my machete just in case they catch me after exiting and come to my window yelling and threatening. I'll roll the window down a little and stick it in their mouth.

6. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA

Chinatown Thanks this.
  7. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    I’ve never been a fan of HOV. People are going to drive with the number of occupants they choose with or without HOV.

Doing away with them will ease up overall capacity constraints by widening the funnel for all.

8. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    You could roll through town in a truck no problem when it was express lanes. Was pretty disappointed the first time through after they switched to HOV lanes. Hopefully it goes back to the way it was before.

9. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Yes very interesting people will always argue that we should increase the speed limit, my argument is that no matter what the legal speed limit is someone will always try to go faster. As a side point Las Vegas is finally getting the F1 Grand Prix back, which has not run here since 1982 I wonder what a ticket will cost to go watch the event?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.