Days or stay nights?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by meechyaboy, Jul 27, 2020.

1. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Yessir. Someone is having a conversation about what you do on your time off. And management is keeping tabs.

I know what you're doing...you are enjoying life. Getting out of the truck, exploring, seeing new things every day. Excellent! I do the exact same thing. You want your co drivers to experience the same. But not only do they opt out, they are talking to management about what you do. You didn't realize that you were such an important part of other people's day, did you?

If I had a co-driver talking to management about me, the only thing that he would know about me is my name and that I really enjoy walking on my time off. In fact, he would tell management that I walked for 34 hours straight.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    Stay nights if you can. I did days for a month and hated almost every moment of it, so much traffic not to mention truck traffic as well. Back on nights now and forget how much more less stressful it is, there's always parking at the end of the day. Up to you though what works best.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  4. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I always enjoy reading your comments.

I have been laying low this whole year mostly because the virus has caused most places to close, and also an issue with my AC has made it harder to sleep, so I've been trying to sleep more. But that's now resolved.

Honestly though, I have met some terrific people since I started this job that I wasn't able to find in an office for whatever reason, I don't know. They are just happy to know you and they tend to appreciate the smaller things. Some of them still call me or text. Office folks never did that.

5. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    In this day and age, if you are well-mannered and can actually hold a conversation, you are an anomaly.

6. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    When people call me they do most of the talking. I just listen and give them filler phrases where I feel its important. I do respond and contribute as much as I can, but usually it's always the other guy talking most of the time.

That's not to say their phone call annoyed me. I am complimented by their call. I may hang up and say man that guy talks a lot or that guy talks for too long, but I still appreciate it when they call. A few days ago one of my partners called me to tell me he drives for Covenant Transport now and is doing well, and a few days before that I was wondering how he was doing.

What I'm learning and what isn't taught is that I have to use my energy to nurture whatever network I have. I just have to. Otherwise my network goes away. Some guys would rather that I text them, and others prefer a voice call. I personally prefer a text but I am not the only person in the equation. When I voice call people, I always feel like I am bother them, but other people don't see it that way.

Brettj3876, G13Tomcat and TripleSix Thank this.
  7. meechyaboy

meechyaboy Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Detroit, Michigan
    Oh yea I’m staying nights, I can’t let six down haha

TripleSix, G13Tomcat and Redtwin Thank this.
  8. meechyaboy

Oct 4, 2018
    Detroit, Michigan
    Most people are too busy to take a second. All the time I’ll ask someone “how are you?” And their response will be “how are you?” Which I’ll add in something about my day and ask again “how about yourself?” And they’ll just keep it moving. Never offended just realize people in today’s society don’t know how to interact with others. I still hold doors for females, elder people and ask if they need help, men act as if it’s a test of their manhood for some reason to have a door held for them smh but it’s these darn phones and social media it’s like people are becoming one with their device... I’m actively trying to get away from them

Speed_Drums, G13Tomcat and TravR1 Thank this.
  9. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Don't be too hard on people. People get bombarded with info and entertainment from everywhere now. It's easy to forget things. I think what is slowly being realized now is that yes, Netflix, video games, and other things have its place. But also there's something nature intended for us that Netflix can't give. That's just a convo with another person. It does something else for you that watching Game of Thrones doesn't do.

My old man, I love him to death, but he never had many friends. He just worked and came home and slept. So a lot of this stuff might seem like common sense to other people. But just understand that no, it's not. Times are changing, our tech is changing quickly and we have to adapt as people. And people are stubborn and don't like change. That's happening now very quickly.

But you don't need to get away from your phone because it's great tool. I do all of my banking on my phone now and since I started doing that my credit score went up.

10. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    In my motorcycle club, we are going to institute a rule for when we are in a restaurant/bar, all phones on the table in the middle. The first person that touches his phone eats the bill. It is a business meeting...you don't scroll on facebook during a business meeting.

TravR1, spindrift and Brettj3876 Thank this.
  11. meechyaboy

Oct 4, 2018
    Detroit, Michigan
    Oh no I get it, it can be used as a tool, and I understand people like what they like. But too many people are beyond that point and addicted. I walked into a Pizza Hut a few weeks ago and the girl taking the order had two AirPods in and getting snapchats, and had the nerve to ask me to speak up.. I turned around and walked out..

TravR1 and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.