DD13 crank no start after head swap

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by WhiteMarine, Jan 3, 2022.

1. WhiteMarine

WhiteMarine Bobtail Member

Jan 3, 2022
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I've lurked on here a long time, but finally broke down and had to become active on this awesome site.

Well, I replaced a head on a 2015 Freightliner Cascadia DD13.... After swapping the head, I primed the fuel system using the Detroit tank kit, then she cranked over but won't start now. There's no codes on the computer, and nothing else in the truck was touched. Simply just swapped the head for a brand new one, and now getting a crank no start... It'll run on a tiny spit of ether no problem, just won't take off on her own after the ether dissipates.

Things I've done:
    - Triple checked timing was correct. It's correct, per the book, and done with proper Detroit tools.
    - I triple checked valve lashings are correct
    - I looked over the cam sensor for any visible issues, but nothing noticeable and it's getting power to it.
    - I put a new crank sensor in, just in case, because it looked a little corroded and wanted to be safe for no cheaper than it was.
    - Checked out the overall voltage and power to make sure we have enough voltage during cranking.
    - All parameters on the DieselLaptop seem to look good, nothing jumping out at me.
    - All the Injectors were programmed per usual, but the fuel is not getting delivered via the injectors for some reason (not pulsing assumingly) but the computer suggests the injectors are good/green. Obviously, if they were spritzing the fuel, it'd start up.
    - runs absolutely perfect on tiny spritz of ether, but won't take off on her own once the ether is dissipated.

I'm absolutely lost on this one and don't even know where to begin troubleshooting or going about fixing this issue... Does anyone have any good ideas or ever have an issue like this?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    everytime i have done this this detroit kit for priming is #### make sure you prime it with ign on first of all, and have to do some hand priming as well hate doing this kind of job on dd15 or dd13 u need the help of god to prime that fuel system, try a could of times and verify that you have fuel on the return port going to fuel tank. Its just a paint to get these engines primed most of the time.

WhiteMarine Thanks this.
  4. WhiteMarine

Jan 3, 2022
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Thanks for the help and taking the time to leave a reply! I love hearing from guys with an arsenal more of experience and skill than myself. Want to say thanks and let you know your time is appreciated.

we just ULTRA primed this thing and verified tons of fuel going back to return (filled all filters, then hand pumped into the cows came home. Probably around 300 pumps on 4 separate occasions, lol)

On the firewall of this cascadia cab (Engine side), there's a little red light on the box that has a couple fuses in it and a couple bar fuse links in it, I'm assuming it's the PNDB box.. What is the little red light for or mean? On the others I've had to work on I remember a little green light by the fuel filter housing/etc, but I've never seen this module with the little red light on it in the firewall.

I also am trying to figure out what conditions need met electronically in order for the injectors to be permitted to spritz, because the Jamaican bobsled mechanics that have worked in this thing in the past have all kinds of bootleg bypassing and jury-rigged wiring stuff going on that I've ran across on it today. Lol

So, now I'm assuming that one of their wiring patch jobs or bypass ordeals have failed or given out. But, I have no idea what conditions need met electronically for the MCM and etc to allow the injectors to fire off.

It's just odd to me that there's absolutely zero codes, even after resetting everything and trying these failed starts. Even when ran on ether momentarily, no codes pop up. Just really odd and has all of us here at the shop baffled.

5. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    well first thing you need to look at is if you have communication with MCM module on laptop, usually you should if you did not then it would not crank from the key. that is the pndb module you are correct and they are notorious for failing. My question is Y did this head have to be replaced what was inital failure on the truck. if it has anything to do with fuel system might have bad injector/injectors giving you no faults but same set up, also might be fuel pump is not pumping at high psi. So need to know initial cause of failure. As far as timing and valve adjustment go, not trying to be a smart ##* but there is no chance a mechanic mixed up valve adjustment sequence on this and adjust the wrong valve at the wrong time have seen this multiple times on volvo of same result no codes as well. First thing i would check is that all modules are online with DDL software than i would go from there.

WhiteMarine Thanks this.
  6. msh

msh Light Load Member

Jul 18, 2021
    Los Angeles, CA
    hook up DDDL, crank the engine and monitor the fuel rail pressure value. if it's more than 150 bar look for something else. You have electronic problem.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    WhiteMarine and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  7. WhiteMarine

Jan 3, 2022
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Yeah, we finally figured out out - kinda.

For whatever reason, all the injectors that were only a year old crapped the bed and weren't throwing codes. Popped new injectors in and it ran beautifully.

However, there are electrical issues out the wazoo going on, because now there's a camshaft positioning code and crankshaft positioning code that pops up. We pulled the sensors, put new ones in, checked the lashing and timing and all is well. Checked to make sure the tone ring in the intake cam was OK, and everything that could be checked.

But, still intermittently get the codes random as all hell. No rhyme or reason.

But his truck is so butchered up electronically with wires dragging the ground looking like swiss cheese, his harness all rigged up all over the place from catching fire in the past (which he didn't tell us until we were finished with the job, go figure) that we just let him know that he's going to either have to pay for our guys to go through the entire harness and correct every little thing - or, he can do it himself.

He complained he doesn't want to spend the money because "he's driven with the codes like that for 2yrs, so he doesn't care".... So, we just have him his truck and wished him best of luck not torching anything else.

This thing was just a complete basket case, and the guy could've cared less because like many independent small time drivers we seem to come across often, he wants to make the money with the truck - but doesn't want to SPEND the money it takes to keep the truck in good shape. He "wants his cake and wants to eat it too" type of thing it seems.

QUALITYTRUCK and msh Thank this.
  8. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

Hope you documented this. Cause when it quits running or burns up in 3 days, your gonna be the bad guy. Nit your fault. Just how them cheap people are.

Flint1 and WhiteMarine Thank this.
  9. WhiteMarine

Jan 3, 2022
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Oh, absolutely. We document EVERYTHING that comes in and goes out.

Every truck that comes in, we take a quick walkaround video as well as when they're finished. During the work, we take tons of pictures and videos just for the sake of the owners usually (they love the updates and seeing what all happens and goes on). But, that has saved us a lot of hassles over the years, so we just keep doing it now.

If we need something up or there's even the slightest doubt that we had even an inkling to do with something being messed up, we'll eat the cost and make it right no matter what. But, when these guys try pulling BS on us that's blatant as can be, it is EXTREMELY irritating and frustrating.

Every once in a good while there's something minor here or there that happens, or that may have been overlooked by one of our guys and we end up taking care of it (like forgetting a couple trim panel clips, or accidentally breaking a sensor or wire, and just make it right without a second thought). But luckily (knock on wood) we haven't had any major screw ups or had any real issues that have happened over the past couple years I can recall.

I think that's why it chaps me so bad when one of these guys try to get over on us or pull their scummy crap. Because we really do go above and beyond for our clients, and we take pride in having great reviews and a good reputation. So, when they try to pull this kind of stuff it's a real slap in the face that'll raise your blood pressure a little. Lol

10. msh

msh Light Load Member

Jul 18, 2021
    Los Angeles, CA
    If DD13/15/16 injectors need to stay long time( more than 2 days) on bench put them in diesel. Keep them in diesel fuel.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted