DD15 Low oil pressure

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by dztruck, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Sarinho1

Sarinho1 Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2018
    Any shop that you can recommend? In Fontana ca. Other than freightliner?

2. Brotha D

Brotha D Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2017
    You mentioned low oil pressure, but maybe I missed the part where you talked about performance. If the performance hasn't changed and your fluid levels are good, the first thing I would check is the oil pressure sensor. Sure would save a bunch of dough if that's all that's wrong with it.

3. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    Now I have oil pressure related problem. at idle oil pressure is not stabile like before. it goes up and down from 16 to 18.5 psi. Twice it dropped to 0 and engine shut down. I have fault code SPN 100 FMI1 . The engine was overhauled 250k miles ago. New O-rings and oil pump were installed. Looks like it's a time to do it again...I am thinking this problem related to oil suction manifold. We will drop the oil pan Tuesday. I will buy a new suction manifold, o-rings, gaskets. Really don't know change the oil pump again or not. DD has updated suction manifold and the new one is whole plastic piece of #### that blew out sometimes (the cap is coming out). Old Style half metallic and half plastic is not available anymore for EPA10 engines...I really don't know who are the designers of this suction manifold but I would gladly put it in theirs ##### and watch how they suffer and cry..

4. NorthernTransport

NorthernTransport Bobtail Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Bought a 2013 Cascadia Dec 2016 with approx 512k miles. In late 2017 my driver reported periodic low oil pressure. Mostly when off the highway stopped at intersections. Dec 2017 PM sub'd 1 gal Lucas Oil stabilizer to see if it would bring oil pressure back up. Jan 2018 with 608K and home to WI for maint. Developed massive coolant leak then sudden blowby issue with oil spit from the oil spinner, smoking and crankcase back pressure. In and out of shops during the cold months, ultimately to find cyl 5 is dead, no compression reading. Cylinder Liner is cracked. No way out of it, we're doing one cylinder kit and zipping it back up and back on the road. about $3k parts with work done by my in house mechanic. Figure labor worth $5k. I'd say your original estimate was pretty close. I'm getting off cheap with in house labor. Took way to long to complete, but I know its getting done right. Make sure you know and trust your mechanic. OTR work can be expensive, especially if the problem isn't properly diagnosed.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  5. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    well if the work shop couldn't figure it out how are the rest of us supposed to? My first guess would of been the oil pump however there may be alot of other contributing factors such as engine wear
    your rings and pistons, crankshaft, camshaft, valves possibly a cracked head, however if there is engine wear the tell tale signs would be a large amount of oil being burned however you said you levels were fine so it could be the oil pump or a cracked head, usually with a cracked head you'll start finding water in your oil.

6. 4noReason

4noReason Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2012
    any idea on this i had my truck break down on highway. needed piston and rocker arms . my shop fixed issue. problem is it stalls every 2 seconds according to mechanic and hes trying to figure out why. what can make this happen

7. NorthernTransport

NorthernTransport Bobtail Member

Nov 14, 2017
    I'm not a mechanic, but I do know the fuel filter on the DD15 has a manual prime pump on it. Maybe he needs to work that primer a little more to get things flowing?

8. brandon72

brandon72 Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2019

9. brandon72

brandon72 Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2019

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.