DD15 Low oil pressure

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by dztruck, Aug 16, 2017.

1. brandon72

brandon72 Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2019

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brandon72

brandon72 Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2019
    This is a common problem on the DD15..Ive had a few..The pick up tubes in the oil pan have 2 gaskets where the pick up tubes connect to the motor i think it is..These will crack as you get near 600,000 miles..Have them replaced at the first sign of a low oil pressure reading..If they suck more air than oil you will spin a bearing..They will have to drop the oil pan so its best to go ahead and do an oil change to at that time..

4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. brandon72

brandon72 Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2019
    This is a common problem on the DD15..Ive had a few..The pick up tubes in the oil pan have 2 gaskets where the pick up tubes connect to the motor i think it is..These will crack as you get near 600,000 miles..Have them replaced at the first sign of a low oil pressure reading..If they suck more air than oil you will spin a bearing..They will have to drop the oil pan so its best to go ahead and do an oil change to at that time..

6. brysol01

brysol01 Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2009

7. brysol01

Nov 2, 2009
    HD KITS product code-HDK-LEBK-DD 15 is what you need, am gonna do mine, i'ld run 15-40 till it's done

8. brysol01

Nov 2, 2009
    HD KITS product code-HDK-LEBK-DD 15 is what you need, am gonna do mine, i'ld run 15-40 till it's done

had trouble posting sorry about the triple post, but rolling new bearings as well as replacing those o rings
    very important. this kit includes all you need to do the job for $591

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Reason for edit: site not working right
  9. A gear per tire

A gear per tire Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2019
    O-rings in the suction tube in the oil pan, common problem in the DD platform, i have diagnosed many.

10. Team No Sleep

Team No Sleep Bobtail Member

Apr 5, 2019
    My 2013 Cascadia is doing the same thing but only when I come to a stop. It’s has the red check engine light on. And flashing but as soon as I hit the gas it goes away. Fresh oil yesterday on the 4 of Apr 2019. Don’t know what else to do.

11. brandon72

brandon72 Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2019
    Is there is any indication of low oil pressure ?Bet you money its the 2 seals on the 2 pick up tubes in the oil pan..Its VERY common for the seals to dry out..Especially at the 600,000 mile mark...I own a 2012 Cascadia DD15, had the exact same problem.This is a dangerous situation because if it pulls up more air than oil it will spin the bearings , and the motor is gone..This cost me about 700.00 at the shop, they must drop the oil pan, to do this..Its best to do before a PM so you dont have to pay for a new one..I would not pour that oil back into the engine, i dont care if the catch pan it clean..You should get this done ASAP..Safe travels

12. Working2party

Working2party Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kansas
    I Work on a fleet of these, first indication of this issue is the oil pressure gauge goes to jumping around or a slow pressure response at cold start up.

When we see it, we plan the next oil change to drop the pan and replace the tube o-rings and suction housing (can’t find just a seal kit for the suction housing).

So far we’ve had to do this on all our 11,12,and 13’s and it varies on miles 150,000 was the lowest. We find all have hard and brittle o-ring after removal.

So when you start your truck after days off and you see the oil pressure jump to 10-20 psi, pause then jump to the 60, plan this on your next oil change and get the million plus miles before overhaul this engine is capable of.

Vaso.L and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  13. me myself and I

me myself and I Heavy Load Member

Oct 5, 2009
    vernon hills,Il
    Thats exactly what happens with it. Bad o rings allowing tubes to slide. Get that fixed

• Truckers Report Jobs