deadhead test results, not sure what to think

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by marvelouzone, Jul 16, 2016.

1. marvelouzone

marvelouzone Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2016
    2002 dt466e
    deadheaded hpop to test, it gets 4600 psi while cranking, but immediately drops to 0psi as soon as cranking stops. ipr is new, and commanded close manually with 12vdc applied to pigtail.. what do you guys make of that?

problem is 333 code when under load or climbing long hills. Icp, injectors, and o-rings are new as well, starts right up whether sitting for 4 days, or hot.

charged oil rail through pop input, left icp in place(didn't have fitting to charge through icp port) plus I figured charging through hpop oil rail inlet, would eliminate the need to command ipr closed. I just used ball valve between shop air and oil rail to see if it would hold any pressure, all the pressure bleeds off in about 10 -15 seconds, and I don't hear any air bleed off.. no oil in diesel, or vice versa.

engine does idle a little rough, new cam sensor(aftermarket just for testing purposes)

Whats you guys opinion? was told that hpop should slowly drop pressure after deadhead, and not just fall off immediately.
    I have servicemaxx snapshots as well

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Well, you don't have a pressure problem. When we dead head hpop, we had a high pressure hose made up with a manual gauge on one end and screw the other into the pump. We do not rely on electronics for this test, we want actual physical pressure. Even when we have this the pressure will drop immediately too once we stop. Once the ipr is de-energized, the oil is allowed to drop to sump, so don't let that fool you. It is common to see the ipr pig-tail connector get weak to the point it is ok to start the engine and low loads, but once the ecm is demanding higher duty cycle, it can't handle it and you get low icp pressure under high engine loading. Another issue is bad or weak 12 volt power at the ipr connector, which causes the same issue. I think you are ok with no hydraulic leaks since you did not hear anything with the shop air test and it starts ok when hot. I would look for an electrical problem with the ipr circuit at this point. The ipr ground is controlled by the ecm, so if the ecm ground is no good this is one of the first circuits to suffer. Check your ECM main power and ground circuits too from the batteries all the way to the ecm! Good luck!

4. marvelouzone

Jul 16, 2016

I might have not been clear.. I did check hpop with 5000psi gauge, I unscrewed hose from oil rail, used a jic adapter to npt for gauge, used 12 volts to ipr and cranked. I however did rely on icp when pressurizing the oil rail with shop air because I didnt have an adapter to fit air or gauge into the icp port. I have already reworked all of the clean power connections from battery up to pcm removing some unnecessary connectors and wire butting and heatshrinking w/glue the clean power wires. I know that once the ipr is denergizes it drops oil back, but shouldnt it hold some pressure until I de-energize ipr?

5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I don't remember them holding pressure or a slow release.

6. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Are you watching the ICP during a road test? 333 is when the ICP is below OR above desired, so is the pressure low or high?

7. marvelouzone

Jul 16, 2016
    Pressure is low, there's times when the icp desired is 3100, and the highest psi I seem to get is 2400. Do you have serviceMaxx? I have snapshots

8. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I do not have access to SM here. Do you notice ecm battery voltage go down when engine load goes up? Is base oil pressure ok? Is the oil level full? Is the oil of good quality? If the oil is diluted or old, this will also cause lower pressure.

9. marvelouzone

Jul 16, 2016
    oil level is full, did oil change when replacing injectors. here's a few screenshots from snapshots

Attached Files:

10. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Hmmm. If you do a 5 minute recording of the engine running at idle and watch only ICP and ICP desired and the ICP line is very rough compared to desired then I would say one of the pumping plungers is probably bad in the high pressure pump. I have see this with the newer style, but not so much with the old ones. They will pass a dead head test because there isn't any flow, but can't provide enough flow during operation to keep up proper pressure to the engine.

11. marvelouzone

Jul 16, 2016
    I think you're probably right..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.