deadhead test results, not sure what to think

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by marvelouzone, Jul 16, 2016.

1. marvelouzone

marvelouzone Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2016
    Hey heavyD, so I replaced the hpop today with a reman, and now I have another problem :( truck starts and goes all the way up to 2400psi, and then slowly drops down to normal psi around 750, but in the amount of time it takes to drop down it throws a 333 code. Thinking stuck ipr right? Nope.. changed ipr with old one, and same thing, and here's the kicker. truck runs with ipr unplugged.. put old hpop back on, and now cant get truck to start. not building pressure, servicemaxx shows 30 psi

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Ok, make sure you installed the correct part number pump and correct part number ipr for that pump. There are several different variances that can cause issues like this. Also, I wonder if the oil drain is blocked in the rear half of the front cover?

4. marvelouzone

Jul 16, 2016
    HEAVYD I'm back again...

So I found out that they shipped me the wrong pump, they sent me the 300 -330hp model. got that issue taken care of, have proper pump now, but still getting 333 code, not sure where to go from here..

just as a recap.
    new icp and pigtail
    new ipr and pigtail
    new hpop
    air tested hpop system
    fresh oil and filter
    new fuel filter

truck starts cold and hot

thoughts:
    possibly air getting in fuel, never looses prime though, starts in about 2 seconds hot or cold

possible cam sensor, truck intermittently runs smooth, and then will start to shake and miss at idle, cam sensor is new, but aftermarket. not sure if cam p could affect icp system

maybe cracked oil pickup tube, not sure if any other symptoms would show. base oil pressure is around 50 psi cold and 20 - 25 psi hot, wot 55 - 60 cold, 50 - 60 hot

highest icp i'm seeing is 2400 psi, 65% duty cycle ipr, 3300 icp desired

5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Key on, engine off, have servicemaxx record icp pressure. Apply 12 volts direct to IPR and crank engine until it starts. If you make 4000 psi then you know the engine is ok and the problem is ECM or wiring to the ipr.

6. marvelouzone

Jul 16, 2016
    Dont know why I didnt think of this, I did it with old pump before replacement.. whats the best way to pressurize fuel tank to check for leaks in fuel lines. I dont see any visual leaks, but i'm wondering if there's a possibility of air getting in fuel. occasionally for a few seconds truck will run like it's starving for fuel with a little shake/miss. I'm wondering if what I was thinking could be an issue with cam sensor could possibly be an air in fuel issue, which I have researched could also cause the 333 code, not sure how, because I know the 333 is referring to injection oil control pressure.. just trying to cover all bases.

7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    333 will only log if ICP cannot reach desired. As long as the engine is running it is suppose to be able to develop up to 4000 psi at any rpm, so aerated fuel should not matter. Aerated oil or severely thinned oil would be one cause of 333. I have had a few cracked pick up tubes, and they all caused hard start issues, not this, but I guess it would be possible. When you had the pump off, did you check the oil supply hole in the rear of the front cover for any obstructions that could be partially blocking oil flow? I am starting to wonder if there is something blocking the little oil reservoir in front of the pump and it isn't getting fed enough oil under high demand?

8. marvelouzone

Jul 16, 2016
    SO I pulled injectors again yesterday, and I found what could be my problem.. the very top o-ring(under the retaining ring) on one injector appeared to be slightly twisted/deformed in one small spot, not sure if it was that way originally or if happened during install. going to replace today. just not sure thats the problem because the o-ring that sits directly under it is in perfect condition and oil would have to get pass that one in order to leak through the one that's slightly deformed. But I'm hoping thats the issue.

before pulling injectors I did another dead head on hpop and I was getting 4500psi, did the same test, but this time with gauge in icp port and was only getting 2500 psi, I knew I was loosing 2000psi somewhere. Dont know if the oring I found to be bad was significant enough to loose that amount of pressure, but what I do know is it doesnt appear to leak until the pressure starts getting higher judging by duty cycle, which maybe why I have no problem with cold or hot starts. just a guess..

9. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Hmmm! I hope so, I am running out of suggestions, LOL!

10. MattFenn

MattFenn Bobtail Member

Jan 31, 2019
    Did you ever find out what the issue was? I'm having the same problem.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.