Dealership unpaid invoice (vehicles)

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by HighValleyExpress, Dec 7, 2021.

1. HighValleyExpress

HighValleyExpress Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2021
    Hey we delivered two vehicles to a Ford dealership in Cali it’s been over 30 days since the drop off and bol signed and dated with agreed upon price with no payment. I have reached out to the owner twice first time he acknowledged he inputted the invoice and would check on it, second email included the late invoice and a confirmation on where and who to make it too(already know). Question is, is my only option a lawyer. I have one who can handle this since I have his approval in both email and text as well as signature on bol for the amount owed. It’s not a huge sum but it’s enough for a new o/o like me to want the money ASAP. Is there anyway to get him to pay without getting a lawyer thanks.

bol states cod terms were signed and agreed on.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    When I hauled cars. Everything was cash on delivery
    Only people I would take a check from were big dealers and the only ones I would bill and wait on were ones like Reliable etc

One thing I would do is if I was going through a city that had a couple dealer cars coming off in and say it was late Friday etc when they’d be closed was
    I would send the inspection and bol to my wife. She would fax the dealer and they’d sign it and have a check or cash stashed somewhere and I’d drop the cars sometimes at 3am and put the keys in the same place and keep rolling

Probably 80% of what I did was cash and I would never wait on payment from the small dealers and all the rest handed me a check or cash before I handed them the keys

ProfessionalNoticer Thanks this.
  4. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    COD to any car dealer,

BennysPennys Thanks this.
  5. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    You'll have to take them to court and add the legal fees to the suit. Sometimes, a lawyer letter will get the dead beats motivated and it's cheaper and easier.

BennysPennys Thanks this.
  6. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
  7. scoobertdoo

scoobertdoo Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2020
    Post reviews on their google page, ASAP. They can be taken down, but they will have a bright new one star that they will see.

ProfessionalNoticer Thanks this.
  8. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Did you haul them directly for the dealership, directly for the shipper or was there a broker involved?

If the shipper was who arranged transportation directly with you invoice them, that will get a conversation going. They would be liable for the fees.

If there was a broker, invoice them for the difference and invoice whoever their customer was, ultimately their customer is responsible to pay you even if the broker shafts you.

Now, if the dealer was your direct customer then court likely is your only option if they don't voluntarily pay the invoice.

I'm sure you have learned your lesson, COD means just that CASH on DELIVERY, meaning the vehicle is not unloaded until payment is maid. Remember, once on the ground you can't reload it and hold the car for payment but if you don't unload it you can demand payment. Always keep the upper hand.

Speed_Drums, GYPSY65 and 062 Thank this.
  9. HighValleyExpress

HighValleyExpress Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2021
    Thanks everyone he eventually paid me what was due 60 days late was going to take him to small claims but didn’t need to in the end. For the future I’ll have the cod explicitly agreed on before hand so I don’t run into this again. Follow your instincts when it comes to people you meet if they seem like rats it usually is for a reason!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.