Dealing with bad breakdowns (p2)

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 727Guy, Oct 20, 2018.

1. 727Guy

727Guy Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2018
    How goes it guys and gals, I'm back again. Ikr, so soon. HAha! To you who aren't already familiar with my situation, simply go read my post from a few days ago. But a short recap, truck broke down, Peterbilt stated it was the ABS module and abs harness that both needed to be replaced. None of their part warehouses have the 2 parts I need (kinda hard to believe) , so both parts have to be made at paccar and could take anywhere from 1 to 8 weeks. Yes, I find that wait time ridiculous, but I have no control over Paccar's Manufacturing forcing them to hurry up. Already been 9 days since they told me the parts were on back order. Tried taking the matter into my own hands and calling as many dealerships as possible to see if they had the parts, no luck. Called Peterbilts Rush care support to see if they help get the ball moving, but that was yesterday. So I expect a return call Monday. So once again, if you guys were in my shoes what would you do? I'm a one-man show. 1 truck an that's it. I don't have loads of cash to just go buy another truck, nor do I find renting a truck very beneficial due to cost per day compared to my $1,100 a month payment. Yes, currently I'm in a loaner truck, but the payments are poop. But Beggars can't be choosers when it comes down to your last dollars. Bill's don't stop, so something is better than nothing.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sirjeff

sirjeff Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Kelowna, BC
    Can you not just drive it the way it is with no abs? If not...... Can peterbilt not "turn off" communication to and from that module in the ecm until your parts show up?

There has got to be a way to program that truck around it to get you up and running in the meantime. That's lousy, driver. I feel for you.

I had a similar parts availability situation with a grenading fan hub when my truck was 4 days old. Told me it would be a couple weeks to get one directly from manufacturer. I explained that this was not acceptable (in not so few words) and after some back and forth for a day or two and barking up the ladder, voila, the fan hub fairy dropped one off. I believe they pulled it off a new truck sitting on a lot.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  4. 727Guy

727Guy Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Honestly, I don't even know. But BEST BELIEVE I'll ask that question Monday. Peterbilt can't give me an ETA when the parts will arrive, but I'm hoping that's where Rush truck care assistance can come in at. I can see 2, even 3 weeks, but after it's just ridiculous. Not like I'm ordering a new engine.

5. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I drove a Cascadia for almost a year with a bad ABS sensor on one of the drive wheels for a previous employer. I even had a level 1 inspection in California. The inspector saw the light on my dash, and I told him I was scheduling shop time to get it fixed and he didn't seem to care. I passed the inspection and got my sticker. You still have working brakes without ABS. I guess some states may have more of a problem with it than others.

MartinFromBC, Rideandrepair and 727Guy Thank this.
  6. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I love my Pete, but hated having to deal with Peterbilt. After several bad experiences with them I only use Peterbilt if that is my only option. I found an independent shop who gets Pete parts when necessary. The parts man is an expert at cross referencing parts to find another brand that will work. Even if your part is under warranty it may be cheaper to pay out of pocket if you can find it, rather that being out of service for weeks. Good luck!

727Guy Thanks this.
  7. 727Guy

727Guy Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2018
    I know exactly what you mean. I live in Tampa Florida and this happened in Houston. If I could've safely made it back to my normal mechanic at home my truck would've never touched Peterbilt property.

MartinFromBC and Banker Thank this.
  8. 727Guy

727Guy Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Exactly why I'll be asking them Monday " without jeopardizing anything else on the truck, can this issue have a temporary fixed or be bypassed until the parts arrive? " If it can safely run, GIVE IT TO ME!!

9. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I don't have time to go back and reread those posts again, but didn't the guys tell you to disconnect it and run without it? Didn't they tell you to check the terminals for corrosion and whatever other stuff they were telling you?

If your truck is at the dealership you need to go down there and have them do it you do it find a local garage call the service manager try to find the owner of the dealership call other dealerships do something.

Is your loan through Peterbilt? Do you have a warranty?

You should call your finance company immediately and tell them what is happening. Not to scare you, but there are plenty of stories in these forums of guys that have had a problem like you're having and it goes from one dealership to another dealership to another dealership to another repair shop and sometimes it goes on and on.

I would call around or go to Every local repair shop in your area and call every dealer and tell them what's going on and find someone somewhere that can help you.

But most of all I would do exactly what the guys on this site mechanically are telling you to do.

Socal Xpress, 727Guy and Hulld Thank this.
  10. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    I’d drive it until the parts arrive. You could try sourcing parts from
    A wreck but that can also be a huge investment in time
    Electrical tape over idiot light
    My company truck just spent 5 weeks at dealer for who knows what. Technology can certainly bankrupt a guy

11. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Ask that dealership to give you the part numbers of what your looking for.
    I have been quite successfull in locating parts that can’t be found if I have part numbers...

Dino soar, 727Guy and Jazz1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.