Dealing with the brokers - what's the best way?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by peak, Oct 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peak

peak Bobtail Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Hi all, I am currently working under a company's authority as an o/o. I have my own authority, but I haven't used it. I have a step deck and know that I should get 2 bucks or more per mile. The company I use charges 15%, so I don't quite get the 2.

What I want to know is when calling the loads on the load board, when they give me a rate that is too low, what should I ask for? Is there a percentage that they would just say yes to?

I have also looked at dispatch services, but I can't find one that looks at all decent. Any recommendations?

jldilley Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LSAgentOZR

LSAgentOZR Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    First and foremost, know your bottom line, and don't be afraid to ask for more. It's all a negotiation. Remain professional and explain what you need. You pulling a stepdeck, stick to $2.25 - $2.50 + tarping charges minimum. You should be able to get that on almost any load you ask on if people are worth their salt. Don't be afraid to deadhead, and don't be afraid to ask for additional to deadhead if the rate is decent. I urge you though... REMAIN professional.

062, NoCoCraig and G3Truks Thank this.
  4. peak

peak Bobtail Member

Nov 5, 2012
    What is a normal tarp charge? My current company told me that it can be as little as $15. What about detention? With the step, there are often times I have to wait around for somebody to do their job.

I am always professional. That is required in life in general.

5. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    I wouldn't move a tarp 6" for $15. My minimum to tarp is $100, and that's for an easy small piece, it goes up fast from there.

jldilley Thanks this.
  6. peak

peak Bobtail Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Do you set the fee up front? For a full load of lumber, how much would you charge
    ?

7. Saddletramp1200

Saddletramp1200 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Houston Texas,USA
    That is right, I was going to try to be funny, and changed it. $25 -30 is good. You never get a roll up fee. Tarps are a useful tool. I fold mine right, and they fall down on the load. Use the wind as your work tool. A tarp will fall on the ground and use the wind to your advantage. Rain, & Snow, that's a different matter.

8. Saddletramp1200

Sep 4, 2011
    Houston Texas,USA
    Your hauling their product, accept their terms, or decline the load.

9. LSAgentOZR

LSAgentOZR Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Unless we have an in place year-round contracted rate, we pay and charge based on the size of tarps required. I don't keep the money we charge for tarps, stops, detention, etc. We pay it all through to the drivers. I have massive respect for guys that will haul 200lb. canvas tarps 8' up on top of a load. As far as detention, industry standard is 2 hours free and then whatever you charge per hour built in 15 minute increments. We typically charge $60/hr unless the carrier tells us more up front and then we bill the customer that amount. Be sure to tell them up front what your terms are and get it in writing on your load confirmation. IF ITS NOT IN WRITING, IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.

KeithT1967 Thanks this.
  10. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    The only lumber loads that I ever did were the ones that should have been at the customer two days ago. I never worried about the tarp charge on those, as I gave them a ridiculous number all in, take it or leave it. Other than that I never hauled lumber, to cheap and to heavy.

If it's plywood, sharp edges, so padding is required to save your tarps, I would be at $150. Regular dimensional lumber with rounded corners, $100.

281ric Thanks this.
  11. Saddletramp1200

Sep 4, 2011
    Houston Texas,USA
    If we don't get You away from that Cotton Candy machine, your going to die, :biggrin_2556: Go get back in the corner. :Ambulance car:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.