Decent company..some people ehhh!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Oldtrucker1973, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Lowa3468

Lowa3468 Heavy Load Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Portland, Or
    There is good and bad when having a dash cam, I have one I bought myself and it records voice and forward but that's it. When dash cams are facing you and you move your hands from steering wheel to eat, etc...that's getting to involved in what we do. I don't know how I ever drove safely the past 13 years before all this technology came out.

But out I guess more and more will come out of it such as what if you cussed a for wheeler out and said words like dumb b. or c. Or gd N... Now what if person on other end views it and finds it not only offensive but falls under racial and sexual harassment can you say lawsuit? And will work for food?

i feel that only time dash cams should be mandatory is if ones safety record (accidents / tickets) or csa scores are high enough to warrant it. Kind of like when one gets a DUI they have to blow into a tube before the car would start.

Ann Eiffel Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gulf

Gulf Medium Load Member

Jul 12, 2013
    I guess this is just where I draw the line. My truck has On Guard and will automatically brake if you get too close to someone on cruise. I'm a technology guy and will put up with a lot of crap in this regard. But I won't have a camera watching me, even if it's just for "critical events.". I have a dash camera facing forward and it has a G force sensor that can be adjusted so even the minor abnormalities trigger the flag to save data. So I'm just not going there with one watching me.

No I don't have anything to hide, I just believe I have the right to privacy. I know it's not my truck, but it's my personal space. Those of you that want it, fine, go for it.

4. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Here's my take on the whole camera thing. First off, this is the 21st century, right ? Can you say "technology" ? When you consider truck accidents VS. car accidents in the news, the truck accidents make bigger headlines. Especially when a truck driver wipes out a mini-van full of kids somewhere. Yeah, cars do some pretty major stuff too, but, trucks really get noticed. Drivers tailgating, speeding acting like idiots don't fare well for our image. People driving 4 wheelers are intimidated by trucks. I mean, they're big, noisy, slow as hell-o, ugly etc. Most people think truck drivers are ignorant, dirty and reckless as hell-o. Most cities don't even want us to park at our homes. It offends the neighbors, those big ol' nasty 18 wheelers.

Since a small percentage of drivers ruin it for all the good drivers, from everything to reckless driving to poor image, including dirty trucks, AND newsworthy events that make the 6 0'clock news, truck company owners need to protect their business to survive. I get it. This is what this business is coming to. Lawsuits cost dearly when a driver messes up.

5. Dinomite

Dinomite Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Looking 4 Rocks
    Exactly If I want privacy I'll buy my own truck, and even then who know's when the FMSCA will mandate drive cams on all trucks just like they are trying to do the Elogs. All I can say more people would take extra precaution. I know it has stopped or slowed down some of the dumb things I use to do. I Knew when they started testing the camera's out they probably would put them in all the trucks. So I started training myself to break some habbits. I actually thought because they have seen how much they they would tell on the company they probably wouldn't do it, but that message I got surprised the crap out of me they decided to put them in all trucks. I always imagined where my EZ pass was the camera would be there. And drove like I had one. Funny thing is they put the Camera where the EZ pass was and didn't even connect the Ezpass back on the window.

I can eat and do a lot of things while staying in my lane, and also if I do feel I have to reach for something that I can see nobody is around me just in case I do swerve to the side. Not sure how sensitive it is on the other trucks we have, but there have been a few occasions I thought it would record but it diddn't. A guy in the break room was saying his truck got hit and it. Not sure if it was parked on while driving and he said it didn't come on either. While another guy who has had it in his truck since they tested said it would activate on rumble strips, dips, pot holes, etc.

My only worry that I had b4 I got one. Was it always coming on at the littlest thing and having to explain foolish stuff to people who don't even drive. So far I'm good. I do believe it can make me a better driver, and I look forward to that challenge. I just see it as taking a cross country road test. Sadly they have to put up with my bad singing and my ugly face. There lucky they don't have to smell my fart's. It also helps me to keep my truck clean.

Swamprat55 Thanks this.
  6. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Everybody gets that. Nothing new. -

Then point the thing to the traffic in front! Got another one point it to the right side traffic. How about the rear or the left side.

Pointing to the driver does nothing to limit liability! Everything the driver does the company is liable for! Everything! Pointing a camera at the driver only makes them more culpable in a accident! Not less. Video of the driver can be subpeoned that can be construed to make the driver and therefore the company at fault or partially negligent.

A camera at the driver is nothing but a employee management tool that is ripe for abuse. Driver video cannot relieve a company of liability!

AfterShock Thanks this.
  7. ArmyGuy

ArmyGuy Heavy Load Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Hudson, Florida
    So if a bad tt drivers screw up how's does the camera help? Is the camera there to protect the company so if used properly they can get rid of bad drivers before something major happens?
    If I T bone a car on a red light I should have stopped at, is the penalty any different from being distracted on a electronic device which the camera caught or just thinking I could make it through the yellow before it turned red. I'm pretty sure either way your fired. I don't know the answers to these questions which is why I'm asking.

what's to stop a company in a right to work state that decides to do away with their south east fleet and fire all their south east drivers using reasons of being caught on the cam doing something wrong true or not. Now you have to fight for unemployment which I wouldn't want to deal with while busting my hump to find another gig. Could you even sue or does it really just all end up being a small percentage of drivers made it this way so live with it?

8. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    Your missing the point, cameras alert company's of bad drivers (such as yourself) hopefully before something major happens, transport company have been hurting for years because they can't supervise employees like others businesses can, cameras have finally helped that problem.

Dinomite and Swamprat55 Thank this.
  9. Dinomite

Dinomite Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Looking 4 Rocks
    A company has to stay in business. If a company see's that they aren't making any money in a region. It's pretty good business to get rid of the account. Businesses do it all the time. Good drivers are usually unemployed for about a week or two at the most. I have never thought about claiming unemployment. Just get a job already.

I do see your point about the traffic situation. I believe the camera's are put their to decrease distracted driving, and if people are going to continue to do stupid things while the camera is in the truck. It's best to get rid of them before their luck runs out and it cost the company more money. But again I have worked at convenient stores and it didn't stop cashiers from stealing money and lotto tickets. So it is what it is. I think it's mostly to get people to drive like they have some sense. Because I'm sure even if they have seen you do everything you could do. Some may still say it was a preventable accident don't let the door hit you on the way out. That's just how trucking is.

I know the other night when I was driving and I began to get fatigued. I was quicker to get the truck parked because I didn't want the camera to catch me getting a cat nap while driving by brail.

Swamprat55, ArmyGuy and truckon Thank this.
  10. ArmyGuy

Jun 21, 2011
    Hudson, Florida
    Dinomite I'm beginning to see where you're coming from. I'm not trying to come off as obnoxious or just plain stupid lol. I'm trying to ask questions or make statements to see a different point of view and maybe learn something in the process. Doesn't mean i have to like having a camera in the truck but I'm starting to understand how they can be looked at other than just being a negative thing.

Dinomite Thanks this.
  11. ArmyGuy

Jun 21, 2011
    Hudson, Florida
    I'm a rookie with two and a half years of experience. I have a lot to learn as do most. In my short career i have 0 points on my license and 0 accidents. I've never been wrote up for being late to a delivery. I've never had a load refused or any damages to report that a driver could cause. My mistake i made was dialing a number while driving. Yes I was ignorant and should have understood the law. Even Jbs put that they would rehire me on my DAC. So I guess all that makes me a bad driver. I know you are GOD of trucking and never make/made mistakes. Someone with character like yours probably thinks all rookies are bad drivers just because we don't meet your (GOD) standards.

was referring to the almighty himself truckon comments

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.