Dedicated: Walmart $14 an hour home every night.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Truckdrivingtrailerpuller, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Finfn1372

Finfn1372 Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2014
    Greenville,NC
    If it works for you op,then good luck in your new venture.

Sho Nuff and bryan21384 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MilkyJay

MilkyJay Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2015
    Everywhere you want to be
    Maybe he's debt free. Income doesn't matter that much if you don't have to spend 30-70% in bills. Back on topic though, you can make $18/hr working at usps.

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  4. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    I'm not totally sure about the OPs situation or location, but maybe they're new and thrown into a situation they weren't comfortable with.

I doubt they intend this to be their career, but they can regroup and try again or even move up the ladder at Wal-Mart.

5. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    McDonald’s in Pecos, TX pays 18-22 an hour... to start. That’s not drivers either. That’s ####ing up my order and spelling my name wrong after I said it and then spelled it out for you as you typed it. That’s before they promote your ### to Mayor Mc Cheese.

Never will understand why people quit trucking to get a real job unless they were just doing this to pay cash for medical school after 5 years or something.

Haven’t worked a single day since I started driving. Not a single day. Why would anyone want a real job?

spyder7723 and kemosabi49 Thank this.
  6. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Didn't realize the part about not wanting to go back into a truck.

Without actually going to school to get a degree or a trade skill...I would seriously think about being a dockworker at UPSF. It's not just a job...but a CAREER...a career that you can retire with. Pay is EXCELLENT, around $75-80k a year at top rate. UPS benefits can't be beat, and it's free...and you'll get a pension (non CSPF) and 401k. Not bad...for just driving around a forklift all day.

Another option might be working for the Feds at USPS. There's SO MANY different positions you can apply for...and practically EVERYTHING is promoted from within. Want to be a Supervisor?...we got that...Level 16-20...and they pay around $32-35 to start and top out around $43-46 an hour. Some Postal Station supervisors work 80 hours per week and make over $200k a year. Want to be a mechanic? We got that too...Level 9...start at $27 and top out around $34-35 an hour. Want to be a Federal Postal Police? We got that too. Maintenance/Custodian? We got it...Level 4. Postal Inspectors? We got it. Letter Carriers/City or Rural? We got. Etc., etc. etc. There's so many positions you can apply for...and most of them require no degree, but some require some level of experience...but in order to apply for these positions...you have to work your way up as a Casual, Part Timer, PSE, PTF, MHA, CCA, RCA, etc...until you turn Fulltime...pay progression too. Mail Handlers just work the docks...and all they do is drive forklifts or unload and reload mail carts on wheels...in temperature controlled docks...which means you have A/C in the summer and heat during the winter. And some of these guys are making over $100k. Clerk's are Level 6-7, and they top out close to $30 an hour...and they have a variety of different positions...from desk clerk, automation clerk, dispatch clerk, manual clerk, expeditor clerk, etc., and some of them also make over $100k. Practically every position at the Postal Service...you can POTENTIALLY make over $100k. It all depends on how much OT and what Union your in...since we have 4 different Unions. APWU is the largest Union, and we get paid OT after 8, doubletime after 10, double and a half after 12 or 60, shift differential pay, 25% more late Saturday and all day Sunday, time and half for extra days, and doubletime on second extra. Letter Carriers (different Union) also make this as well. Only Mail Handlers don't get this, just time and a half...but they put in A LOT of OT. You can LITERALLY work you way up from being a Mail Handler...all the way up to being a Post Master General...and it gets no higher than that...Level 38 I believe. And once you're a Federal employee...you can practically apply for ANY other Federal job that's within the government...as long as your qualified. Government benefits is hard to beat. You also get around 440 hours of Annual Leave...which equals to around 11 weeks of vacation. 10 holiday pay. Accrued sick days that rolls over year after year. And you also get a pension...11% match 401k...roth and tax deferred plans...benefits after retirement...etc.

Another option that's also not bad.....

EuropeanTrucker and baha Thank this.
  7. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Some of you all are ridiculousl. If that makes the op happy then good for him.

Sho Nuff, spyder7723, RedRover and 3 others Thank this.
  8. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Totally uncalled for

9. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    You know, so many of these posts on here kill me. Many of you guys are bashing this guy, saying he could make more here, or there or whatever the case. You can't blame the OP for low pay in the industry. Blame the man at the top who doesn't think that high of the people who made him rich. People say they would work for this or that but I guarantee that you will do what it takes to feed your families. It's not the highest pay, true enough but he values home time. The highest paying jobs that are home every day aren't always available every where. The majority of local job IveI seen are somewhere between $14-$18 an HR with few exceptions. He's making a living and he's happy. Good luck to you OP.

10. Yuuyo

Yuuyo Bobtail Member

Apr 12, 2018
    Tim Walz Land
    So you'd rather have $540 a week than 1500 is what you're saying

spyder7723 and RedRover Thank this.
  11. swervyjoe

swervyjoe Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2013
    Charleston, SC
    Well, I'm sold.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.