Delivered a load late. Is this service failure?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Canadianhauler21, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    So I just recently switched to a local job which is nice, been doing alot of grocery loads which result in long waiting times and what not. I had a delivery 40 miles from the pickup for 02:00.

I arrive at the shipper at 20:30 to drop an empty trailer, pickup was supposed to be for 23:00. I check at the gate and load isn't ready at the time, I check again at 11:30, 00:00, 0100, 0130 and the load was finally ready at 01:40. By the time I left the shipper it was 1:59, no way I can make the delivery in one minute. I informed my dispatch prior about these delays. I arrived at 02:45, and obviously the consignee called me out on being late. Sitting around here for the last hour now waiting for door assignment.

Tried to explain but he didn't want to hear any of it.

Does this count as a service failure on my end?

Lonesome, BillStep and Oldironfan Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Your not a service failure.
    Perhaps dispatch, or broker, or shipper.
    At least you not being charged $150 reschedule fee.

snowlauncher and Canadianhauler21 Thank this.
  4. BillStep

BillStep Light Load Member

Mar 17, 2016
    No that is not on you. It's on the shipper. The consignee is just acting out and punishing you for something you had no control over. Just let your dispatcher know what happened.

5. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    I was 5 minutes late to a cold storage place in Iowa once, on the Illinois border. Drove thru a blizzard. Called dispatch in plenty of time and let them know I may be a few mins late.

I got there and the customer was trying to charge my company a $500 late fee. Company told them to pound sand and that they were lucky I showdd up at all cause they were shutting down all their trucks in the area. Dispatch said they were about 10 mins from telling me to park it and forget it that I made a valiant effort.

After some discussions the company waved the late fee and allowed me to stay on the property to wait out the storm.

Companh said I did nothing wrong. Never got bit with a SF. Generally, if you communicate with dispatch ahead of time about any delays they can move appointments and wont count it aganist you.

6. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    In my experience with this situation, communication between carrier and receiver is done via email, and the email often goes to the receiving manager, or whatever higher-up oversees their operation. The peon that you check in with often has no idea what transpired between carrier and receiving manager. He just checks his clipboard and sees you are late and that’s all there is to it in his small mind.

magoo68, Woodys, gentleroger and 3 others Thank this.
  7. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    A service failure isn’t that big of deal.
    Crete gave me a service failure and I told them to mail it to my PO Box and I was gonna frame it and hang it on the wall next to my deer head.
    She told me there wasn’t anything to mail and it was all electronic so I told her to give me a thousand service failures then because they don’t mean anything.

BillStep Thanks this.
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Big deal, call your company next time, tell them what's going on and let them deal with it.

I or my manager get calls like this all the time, they try to tell us about late fees, I tell them read the contract, there ain't no late fees.

BillStep and bottomdumpin Thank this.
  9. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Usually, companies that try to charge late fees are the same ones who refuse to pay TONU and detention. I refuse to do business with them.

10. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    If I have to pick up late. Thus deliver late. I tell them Scotty said the transporter is down. So I had to drive it.

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  11. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    You did nothing wrong, and it wasn't something you could control. The only thing I would have done differently is that I would have also personally called the reciever once it became apparent that I was going to be late. But that may not have been a possibility for you if you are not given shipper/receiver phone numbers.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.