Delivering Food? anyone?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by lgo2014, Jul 15, 2014.

1. lgo2014

lgo2014 Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Hi guys can anyone tell me about food delivery and how hard the work is exactly? What are some of the biggest headaches that come with it and for a newbie starting at about 15-16 an hour is it worth the pay and physical demand? Thanks guys

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    What state you live in? I made $26/hr with sysco, for 15/hr I'll do pop/soda work cause I made atleast 20/hr doing that and easier than food. It's physically demanding. Image breaking down an entire pallet into your 2 wheeler and bumping it up a flight of stairs. Max I did was 300lbs on a 2 wheeler up/down a ramp, downstairs/upstairs. Rain/snow/heat also plays a factor since you'll be outside a lot.

The work doesn't bother me I like being active. But the problem was the times, you need to hustle and run each stops. That trailer needs to be empty at the end of the day.

Also the tight space you have to back trailer in. Between dumpster or parked cars. Alley ways/alley dock are major headache.

Big Don and road_runner Thank this.
  4. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Not to mention the places where you just can't park off the street. You find yourself blocking a lane, or perhaps, if you are lucky, parked in the safety zone between lanes. Both of which can get you a ticket. And those stairs! Those stairs can't be emphasized enough. It is bad enough when they are inside the customer's building, but when they are outside, you have to fight ice and snow in the winter. Not wonderful with a two wheeler loaded down with heavy freight.

5. lgo2014

lgo2014 Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2014
    I live in Tucson az so I don't have snow but I've heard mixed things about food delivery and how the work isn't always worth the pay. I'm not sure..i had an interview with Shamrock foods and I will start with class B and then get class A. Just wanting to make right decision, I was told I would be working 12-14 hours a day, seems like good pay to me even at 15 an hour

6. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Everybody is different when it comes to pay. Honestly for the work I did, 15/hr not worth the back pain nor being out 14 hours a day. I can find a forklift job and get paid 15. Is the company helping you get your cdl? If so, then it will be worth it than paying 5 grand on school.

If you're young, fit and active, maybe still live with parents then go for it. Once you get your cdl you can do way less work and better pay

Oh big Don don't you just hate going to a customer and they wanted downstairs in the basement? Then realize the stairs are WOODEN? Every drop I'm like workers comp here I come

Big Don and road_runner Thank this.
  7. lgo2014

lgo2014 Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2014
    They would be helping me get cdl. I work construction so labor isn't a big deal to me but my main goal is to take and learn and gain experience so that one day can go somewhere else that pays better or find a better gig unless it got better as years went on

8. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    In that case, I'd say "GO FOR IT!"

9. ryan5464

ryan5464 Light Load Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Conway, AR
    I got my cdl on my own and went to a distribution company and have been with them ever since. It's not technically a competitor of Sysco since we do cigs and tobacco. But we do have reefer's on every trailer and we do handle some of the same products, just not as much. We aren't paid hourly but i will make more money for my first few years of cdl experience than if I had gone over the road. And I'm home every day. I would recommend taking the route youre thinking of long before I would ever consider going over the road. If you do go this route, you will make money and you will be home often. Great way to get the experience you need. If they're gonna get you your cdl, even better. Good luck and best wishes.

10. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    yeah take it for tbe cdl for sure, just wait a month prove you can do it then remind them you want to step up into a bigger truck. Then evey month after untill they do. Dont need to be a ### about it just keep reminding them. Then after you have it, find out what comparible work goes for in your area and push for equel or close to equal numbers. The whole time doing your job without complaining. If they wont step you up you have a legit reason to look elsewhere

11. kasey6max5

kasey6max5 Bobtail Member

Jul 13, 2014
    Run as fast as you can!!! Too many opportunities out there that pay better. No reason to sacrifice your knees and back for a foodservice company.

already gone and skyviper73 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.