Delivery driver employment: what jobs are best and pay the most?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by fifasf, Aug 12, 2014.

1. fifasf

fifasf Bobtail Member

Aug 7, 2014
    Hello I am going for my permit test tomorrow and starting my cdl classes either Thursday or this Monday and I have seen threads saying to apply while going to class and I had a question.

I see the majority of jobs and/or people on here and the internet are for class A big rig drivers. I was thinking more along the lines of a career like a delivery driver of a deer park/Pepsi type driver class B . I am not against driving a big rig but wasn't necessarily looking for long 100o mile haul type jobs. On that note I obviously want to make good $ as well and realize that will come with time and experience.

What type of jobs pay the best and have the most growth is my question.

Thank you in advance!

-Scott

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Get the Class-A license anyway; it's good for Class-B also.

Apply with companies such as Reddaway, Sysco, Old Dominion, YRC, ABF.

Much depends on your location; put location on your profile and probably get more responses.

Big Don, road_runner and Shaggy Thank this.
  4. Dumdriver

Dumdriver Road Train Member

Jul 8, 2014
    East Coast
    All soda/ beer companies only hire class A drivers. If you're going to school there's no reason to just get your B

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    Get the A with many endorsements, you won't regret it.
    Long story very short, Applied to a local company that had Class C, B, A Equipment ( roll off dumpster ) . Tractor Trailer Roll Off sucks !

The days when my straight truck was in for service, Ran the Class A units, Was not ideal for the locations. But making money or staying home because truck is broke isn't a difficult decision. Adapt to the situations. Was paid Class A work because of A on my license no matter if i was driving Class B 4 days a week, That stupid little change in Alphabet pays.

I also noted those days running Class A for experience to get better Jobs. Work the system experience.

Get the dang Class A. Many years down the road may want to experiment with Tractor Trailers, Bam !! already legal to do it

Have fun OP whatever your decision.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  6. fifasf

fifasf Bobtail Member

Aug 7, 2014
    Thank you for the feedback guys! I am going for my class a , air brake and combo test this morning.

7. fifasf

fifasf Bobtail Member

Aug 7, 2014
    Bad news failed all three, I read the material and took the practice tests on here but the questions where completely different than what was on the actual test. Any recommendations for a better site(s) for practice tests? taking all three again next weds.

8. Dumdriver

Dumdriver Road Train Member

Jul 8, 2014
    East Coast
    Failed all 3? Ouch!! Maybe forget the practice tests for a little while and study the manual. All the answers are in the manual.

You could also try breaking it up. For example, just take the general knowledge portion next Wednesday. That way you're not so overwhelmed trying to study for 3 sections at once.

Also, when you're taking the test next week, if you don't know the answer skip it. You may never come back to that question. Once you hit the minimum number needed to pass the test ends right there. Good luck!! You'll get it. Keep studying

road_runner Thanks this.
  9. fifasf

fifasf Bobtail Member

Aug 7, 2014
    Yes that is what I am going to do. I'm disappointed but I will get it. I didn't know about the skip button but do now and will pass this bad boy next week!

10. fifasf

fifasf Bobtail Member

Aug 7, 2014
    Same thing happened to me when I took my mortgage license test haha. Live and learn

11. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    I've known a lot of folks over the years who were great at doing their job, but sucked at passing tests. And I've known a lot who could pass tests like crazy, but were totally unable to do the job. So don't let it get you down.

I agree with everyone who says to go for the class A. And get your doubles/triples endorsement, you tanker and hazmat endorsements as soon as you can. Even if you only start out running a route for a home delivery water service, or a propane outfit or some such, you will likely tire of it fairly quickly. The more options you have, the better off you will be.

If I was in your shoes, I'd look at some LTL companies that have local P & D jobs, as well as line haul jobs available. It's quite often a more interesting job, than a lot of others in trucking.

Good luck to you, and keep us posted on your progress! It is extremely frustrating to see folks come on here and ask some career questions, then disappear. Happens all the time, too. . .:biggrin_2558:

Shaggy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.