Delivery into a tropical storm?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Canadianhauler21, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    You'll have fun telling your grandkids 25 years from now how you years earlier deliverd a load in a tropical storm. How the wind was blowing, the trailer was rocking, you were white knuckling the steering wheel and were saying your final prayers......but you made it thru !!!

D.Tibbitt, MACK E-6, 650cat425 and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SoulScream84

SoulScream84 Road Train Member

Mar 21, 2020
    Hell I've had great sleep in a tropical storm on the gulf coast. Truck was rocking beautifully

4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

The trailer doors can launch you across the street if you are not careful. Stand outside of the door's arc and only hold it by a hand. You cannot stop the wind from grabbing it.

D.Tibbitt and Canadianhauler21 Thank this.
  5. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    to be honest, you should call the customer. right this very minute, here in RI, we are getting blasted.

we have not lost power....yet..

but with tree's falling, and power losses, they may even be closed.

call them.

D.Tibbitt and Canadianhauler21 Thank this.
  6. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    That reminds me...

Went on a motorcycle ride recently with 3 other truckers and a young Man. We were doing the usual old guy thing and telling war stories and Young Blood was enthralled. He said, "I wish I had stories to tell."

Wellllllllll...an hour later, Young Blood caught a flat on his rear tire on a narrow 2 lane. Spoke wheels. This woman comes out of her house, and invites us to park in her driveway while we wait for a friend with a trailer to show that's 100 miles away. She invites us inside and offers refreshments. Very nice lady. The trailer finally arrived and Young Blood asked me how to repay that lady for kindness. What kinds of things did she like or was into is what he wanted to know as we walked outside.

'Well, she had a pentagram on the wall, Baphomet's head on a shelf and even a little statuette Baphomet, witch's broom in the corner and a book of spells on the toilet...what do you think she's into?'

Young Blood appeared to be stunned. I laughed, "Now you have your first war story to tell."

7. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    Thanks for reminding me of that danger. I'm at the reciever now waiting for a door. Storm hasn't hit yet but is going to in an hour.

Stay safe out there. I'm at the place now waiting for a door. Looks like it's only going to storm for 3-4 hours here. Unfortunately Maine is an absolute crap show for truck parking.

Thanks for all the replies everyone I topped off my fuel prior to coming here just in case.

D.Tibbitt and 650cat425 Thank this.
  8. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    @lovesthedrive may be able to help with the parking suggestions depending where you are.

9. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    the storm came, and went as fast.

we are still getting "some" winds, but it ain't bad, and it cut down the humid air.

better to have a quick moving storm, than slow moving, i think.

650cat425 Thanks this.
  10. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Where in Maine are you?

Canadianhauler21 Thanks this.
  11. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Bowdoinham has a nice quiet truck stop off the 295 called the Exit 43 Quickstop. Usually lots of parking and no lines for the showers. Clean restrooms and several eateries nearby includong one inside

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.