Dense Fog Accident Caught On Camera

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by mjd4277, May 10, 2019.

1. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    I drive in fog regularly, Do not like it, but I do slow down, run your headlamps, NOT your highbeams and NOT your 4 ways. If you stop on the shoulder turn off ALL your lights and stayinside your truck.I run 99 thru central valley Ca alot, lots of fog. I have avoided several bad accident by slowing down, paying attention, If you cant stop your to fast or to close.

Bud A., not4hire and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    L Hate it when drivers run their 4 ways in fog, yep we are going slow, so I am going to blind everybody and make them think they are running up on an accident.

Powder Joints, Bud A., Joetro and 2 others Thank this.
  4. ichudov

ichudov Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2012
    Berkeley, IL
    I turn on my flashing amber lights

5. Powder Joints

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    No comment. You should not run down the road with your ambers or any or color flashing.

Joetro Thanks this.
  6. ichudov

Mar 14, 2012
    Berkeley, IL
    Here in Chicagoland, a lot of people run with them. Specifically lowboys and intermodal trucks. Often run with those when empty. I have flashing beacon lights installed because I do oversize loads. I turn them on during bad weather. For me, they are connected to my mirror heat switch.

I never saw anyone fined for that.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  7. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Sometimes you have to if you’re going up or down an upgrade or downgrade in bad weather,especially if there’s a speed restriction in place for trucks.

8. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    So, clearly, the thing to do is don't watch the road, but drive via your dash cam's display. :)

o_O

DenBob, tucker and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  9. Powder Joints

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Here in Cali, the only legal place to run your 4 ways, (not oversized lighting) is stopped on the shoulder, while your placing your triangles.
    The reason for not running in the fog is to prevent 4 wheelers from running into the back of you when parked. And in foggy conditions if you park off the road way your safer to disappear by blacking out. and staying inside your vehicle.

10. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I looked it up a while back, I hear the claim alot on th CB running through CA. What I remember it was geared for construction vehicles or tow trucks or whatever having flashing lights and just leaving them on for no reason and cruising on down the road.

No reason to believe climbing a hill at 30mph and having 4-ways on was some sort of violation. If you were a "potential hazard" ie:speed diferential, you should have them on as you are likely a legitimate hazard.

okiedokie Thanks this.
  11. ichudov

Mar 14, 2012
    Berkeley, IL
    and you could say that "it was for safety, judge" and "I was a hazard in the fog"

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.