Detroit 12.7 2000 model.

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by henboy1, Sep 23, 2017.

1. henboy1

henboy1 Medium Load Member

Mar 26, 2011
    stockbridge
    I take off and just when the turbo kicks in I haer a gush of wooswh.Sounds like air.I checked the air charger pipiing and hoses and I see nothing.Is there a an air leak test I could build?Where could that much of air be coming from?Back in the days Kevin Rutherford mentioned building an air charger cooler tester?Any other ideas?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dustinbrock

dustinbrock Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    Where your pipe goes into the turbo from the air filters. Go to a hardeware store and buy some plumbing stuff and make your own. You'll want a regulator on it so you can build 20psi or so. I always check from the turbo as it will check all the plumbing.

You aren't going to see anything with tour eyes most of the time. You can take a squirt bottle with soap and water and spray down everything but I'm not sure how much boost (if any) a old detroit builds at idle.

4. henboy1

Mar 26, 2011
    stockbridge
    ou can take a squirt bottle with soap and water and spray down everything but I'm not sure how much boost (if any) a old detroit builds at idle.
    Great point . Not even sure how to build this thing unless I go watch some you tube. I am probably bring robbed off .5 mpg . Thx

5. IH Truck Guy

IH Truck Guy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Purgatory
    Do you have dual air cleaners?
    Might be hearing noise from them.

6. henboy1

Mar 26, 2011
    stockbridge
  7. henboy1

Mar 26, 2011
    stockbridge
    Dual cleaners ? You mean air filters ? The centuries only have one air filter

8. henboy1

Mar 26, 2011
    stockbridge
    Found the leak.That was easy.The plug on the charge air cooler tube was missing.

dustinbrock Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.