Detroit 12.7 Exhaust manifold removal??

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Green461, May 23, 2024.

1. Green461

Green461 Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2019
    Southern WI
    Ya I guess looking at it that way, If i needed it up and running asap i'd be buying one likely. It kinda irritates me about places that make stuff for trucks and charge so much, they know they got you because you need it up running right away, so they can price gouge you. They dont even charge that much for high end race parts. Dirty rats. If my fix works i'll post up some pics..

Smellfunny Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Green461

Mar 22, 2019
    Southern WI
    Found some cast iron piston rings on ebay 4 of them for $16. exactly 2.5" diameter. they were a bit tight, inside manifold was about 2.480 so used ring filer and sized them up to have about .002-.003 gap. Used 1/8 cut off wheel and a hose clamp as a guide. Groove looks deep but there is still .125 thickness left if not a bit more. Was debating on putting 2 rings there w/ .100 space between them.. I am going to, I have them why not... its a pain to grind the grooves and keep them accurate all the way around... time and checking with caliper every pass with the grinder. I compressed ring and it did install inside the other half.. I dont see how this seal can fail.

ringsebay.jpg man4.jpg

man3.jpg

Big Road Skateboard Thanks this.
  4. Green461

Mar 22, 2019
    Southern WI
    Decided to put the second one on, why not... they fit tight.... rings got .002-.003 gap so hopefully wont expand and crack, if so they are not going anywhere.. and should still seal and impossible to blow out. Good fix and repair for $16. and a few hours.

man9.jpg

5. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Looks good. Does it move easy enough ti not damage the rings during installatiion?

6. Green461

Mar 22, 2019
    Southern WI
    Thanks. Yes I smeared a little grease in to help the rings go in, it will fall apart if im not careful carrying it. Waiting on manifold gaskets now. I dont know what the rings are for, but its about as much tension on it as a piston and cylinder wall.. I dont expect it to seal like that though its not a 100% perfect surface, but should be sufficient... My fingers are crossed.

7. Smellfunny

Smellfunny Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    Not sure what they fit but they are $$ if not purchased off of ebay. https://www.hydradynellc.com/product/pr252h0005/2h-3l-vh-series-piston-ring-kit

8. Green461

Mar 22, 2019
    Southern WI
    Everything seemed to work out.. got it back together today. I cant feel it leaking like before, seems to be sealed up pretty good. A lathe would have been ideal, but this worked. I made a video of it if anyone wants to save a ton of money and has time and likes fixing things themselves.
    https://youtu.be/wZ8r52dagMw

Smellfunny Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.