Detroit 14 Liter Fuel Injector issue

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Smellfunny, Aug 16, 2022.

1. Smellfunny

Smellfunny Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    So I had a truck brought to me that the guy said needed an injector. I started the truck and it idled fine. Hooked up my computer and everything checked out. Called the guy and he said it only does it when it sits overnight. So I figured he had an injector leaking down or a fuel problem. Came in this morning to start it to see what was going on. Fired it up and it was smoking and sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders. I ran around to check the manifold and the back three were warming up like they should but the front three were on fire. I did a cutout test and #2 #3 is what I came up with. Pulled #3 first and guess what. Cup was leaking. Put in new cups and since he had three used injectors I put three in 1,2,3. Harness looked ok. Fired it up and it ran like crap again. Ran around to feel the manifold. This time 4,5,6 were scaling hot and #1 was weak. Looked at harnesses outside and did not see any issues. Pulled the doors and came home (past closing time). I put 4,5,6 back where they came from. Anyone ever see anything like that? I plan on putting the old #1 back in in the morning. When I adjusted the overhead all of the exhaust were loose and the injectors were too tight. He had the motor overhauled a year and 3 months ago. He said he already broke two rocker arms and replaced injectors.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Smellfunny

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    Was just thinking about the issue. I wonder if the plungers for the injectors are messed up from going too far down. I backed them off 3/4 of a turn. I usually count the turns as I take them down and a few were 1/4 to 1/2 to bottom out.

4. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    The smoke and rough cold idle i would think an injector is leaking fuel onto the piston after shutdown. Rough idle cause it's lost prime, smoke cause fuel is on the piston.

Does it smooth out after warming a bit?

Bean Jr. and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  5. Smellfunny

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    He says it smooths out. I did not run it that long because I did not want the engine to get too hot. Was supposed to be a simple injector swap. I figured with 2 and 3 being so hot that they were just dumping fuel in cylinder. 4,5,6 were ok but now they are hot. I am talking 1,2,3 after starting were 120 degrees and 4,5,6 were 250-300. It was the opposite this morning.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. Big Road Skateboard

May 2, 2021
    Don't get hung up on exhaust port temps on the manifold, they can be misleading IMO. I would pull the exhaust manifold and plug oil supply line and start cold.

Should clarify real quick a cyl#, or rule out that as a possibility.

Bean Jr. and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  7. Smellfunny

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    He might be in trouble then. I am retired and only do a job every so often. He has been trying to find someone to do this job for over a couple months. I finally told him I would do it but that I could only work on it today or Saturday due to plans I had. I changed up some things and will look at it more tomorrow. I did enjoy opening that radiator cap this morning and having it spew fuel and coolant mix in my face. I missed that so much. (sarcasm)
    i would not think that the manifold would get that hot that quick and with that huge a difference in the front three and back three.

8. Big Road Skateboard

May 2, 2021
    Why does it still have fuel in the coolant after injector cups? You had to drain the coolant. You didn't put the old back in? And why so much pressure?

9. Smellfunny

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    When I pulled the #3 injector and saw all the rust on the injector I opened the radiator cap and it blew out. It wasn't hot but was under pressure and I popped it off not expecting that. No I drained the coolant and removed all the cups. The #3 was the only one that was bad. The oring had a bad spot on it. I will flush out the coolant system once I figure out the injector issues. I just put water in it for now.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.