Detroit 60 idle sputter

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by dom14, Jul 17, 2018.

1. dom14

dom14 Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2016
    hi guys just got a 01 Columbia with a Detroit 60 in it. Just did a inframe rebuild and since I got truck back it hasn’t been the same. At idle the truck starts to shake and almost “choke” and give itself gas and sounds like I’m hitting pettle and Revving it.. I took it back to mechanic and he plugged in and said the ECM was bad so put a new ECM in and truck ran great for a few days till this AM it started sputtering and choking again.. mechanic checked all injectors and all wires on injector harness and said everything was great injectors were also sent to lab and came back as no issues.. anyone else come across this???

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    I had a similiar issue, it turned out to be the throttle position sensor which is basically your throttle pedal assembly. A very easy way to check it is have the truck off and unplug the wiring harness from the throttle pedal then plug it back in and start the truck and see if it runs right. Mine would do fine a few days after this way of resetting it then it would start again. The wiring harness coming to the throttle pedal is also a common problem.

4. dom14

dom14 Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2016
    That’s what I’ve been thinking it is I will try that thanks you! Did you wind up having to replace anything to get it working 100%?

5. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    I replaced the sensor but it didn't fix it so I had a shop repair the wiring harness going from the sensor to the ECM and that fixed it. Cost was $500. Mine was throwing a tps code

Rideandrepair and martican Thank this.
  6. wilco379

wilco379 Bobtail Member

Oct 2, 2021
    I have a 98 pete 379 with a 12.7 Detroit in it, been having this problem for months now. the problem is intermittent some days its great some days it acts up, right as you start rolling in the the throttle at lower speed and low rpm "1500 to 1600" it will start to pop and stumble and blow whiter grey smoke out the stacks it smells of raw fuel. does not do it at high way speeds. so far i have replaced the suction lines, filter head, new filter, new fuel pump, new map sensor, check check valve on return line and 0.80 restricted 90 on return. currently pulled all injectors out and re oringing them and putting new cups in, injectors have about 50,000 on them along with the entire motor, any help would be appreciated.

7. Robert McCalll

Robert McCalll Bobtail Member

Oct 4, 2022

8. Robert McCalll

Robert McCalll Bobtail Member

Oct 4, 2022
    I have a 99 Pete with detroit and I'm having the same problem. I have replaced fuel lines, trs, srs, tps sensors. I found a harness running from the ecm that controls injectors and Jake's that was in bad shape I replaced. I'm still having the same problem did you ever figure it out?

9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Same problem. Hold throttle at 1500 in lower gears for a while, and make it sputter. Started after inframe. Check valve did mysteriously or coincidentally go bad while getting inframe. Replaced it. Recently replaced fuel lines. Had a couple leakers. Was sputtering real bad, and losing prime. Check valve is good. Fixed the 2 ends that were seeping fuel., ( so I thought). Ran great. I was still able to make it sputter once, but barely. Just started it after 40 hrs sitting, and took a while to start. So it’s still seeping fuel somewhere and maybe also sucking air. I’ll eventually figure it out, Maybe get different fuel lines, if I have to. Currently have original type braided with Eaton reusable fittings. Bottom line is it’s definitely caused by aerated fuel, since I’ve seen a noticeable improvement with the new lines. I may re do the ends, maybe put some brake fluid on the fitting before assembling them. Hopefully swell up the rubber hose and get a better seal. Might work,

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.