Detroit, Cummins, or Volvo?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by ErieMcDreary, Dec 18, 2017.

1. ErieMcDreary

ErieMcDreary Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2016
    Erie PA
    Considering buying and leasing on pulling fuel tanker. Currently company driver, o/o's seem to be doing pretty good. While I would love a Pete/KW hood, finances dictate a more conservative approach. I drove a Volvo DD13 I-shift for several years for FedEx, much better shifting trans than the Pete autoshift I drive now.
    Looking at several trucks 2010 to 2013, ex Penske/Ryder rentals with 300k or less around $30k. Would really prefer a 13spd, and dislike the 10spd that seems to be in every truck these days. Considering Freightliner, and Volvo. Not a fan of Mack or International, was told to stay away from Maxxforce. I have Volvo/Mack and International dealers close to home. Peterbilt shop closed. I know Volvo has some injector problems, haven't really heard anything bad about Detroit or Cummins.
    I'm 59yo, sort of figuring to pay off the truck in 2-3 years and run it until there's no more run in it, and retire, maybe 6-7 years, maybe 10, see how the health and "want to" goes. I can do all minor repairs, just don't have the tools for major stuff.
    I guess the question is lean to Detroit/Cummins, or Volvo, and what about the truck brand?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    The company I work for will only buy a tractor with the Cummins 500hp engine. That's what the boss and company mechanics have seen the best luck with. They also religiously change the oil and fuel filter every 15k miles.

I drive a 2016 Volvo I got back in February with 500 miles on it and in 10 months have driven it 126k.
    I have a 13sp manual and will never, ever drive anything without one (lol, unless it's an 18sp)

Engine has not had one problem as of yet and it loves pulling grades. Limited at 70 mph ( more if I want ) I cad easily pass other 70 mph trucks on grades even fully loaded.

The Volvo tractor is very comfortable to drive...but..
    IMO it is a cheap/cheesy built lousy starter truck.
    Not any big repairs done yet but a lot of poor workmanship issues that needed to be repaired under warranty.

For me, I'm looking into getting a Peterbilt 567 heritage and riding it into retirement.

4. ErieMcDreary

Dec 4, 2016
    Erie PA
    That Heritage looks real good. I know the Volvo drives nice, and they all have some issues. The fleet Pete's we have now aren't the quality I expect from Pete, #### dash rattles will drive you nuts! I really can't believe how hard the auto trans shifts, and it's all but impossible to ease away from a stop, almost like dumping the clutch. I can buy a used company truck, probably pretty cheap, but they're pretty used up by sale time.
    I'm really trying to get a feel for which engine is least problematic, and least expensive to repair, at least after 500k. I do like Cummins, and I know some guys swear by Detroit.

5. ErieMcDreary

Dec 4, 2016
    Erie PA
    Anybody know anything about the Mercedes engine? Found a couple trucks with that one in it.

6. istumped

istumped Medium Load Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Are you in the Milwaukee area or green bay area for kag? If those o/o you are talking too have been their awhile they are under different circumstances than you would be. Alot has changed.

7. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
  8. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Paccar is a Cummins painted black. Problem is you are stuck getting the Paccar fixed at the dealer if it's under warranty. Cummins you can go to any authorized service shop.

Hegemeister Thanks this.
  9. Steel Dragon

Nov 23, 2015
    Paccar gets better fuel mileage.
    I consistently get 8 in the T680.

10. Steel Dragon

Nov 23, 2015
    I'd rather go to a dealer.Always got quick service at Kenworth.

11. Steel Dragon

Nov 23, 2015
    I'm just a company driver,but all my T680's were paccar powered and didn't visit the shop often.
    Current truck has 525k mileage.

Hegemeister Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.