Detroit, Cummins, or Volvo?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by ErieMcDreary, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    I deliver to the Kenworth plant in Ohio..freaking busy place..those guys driving the new trucks off the line make me jealous...want their job...:biggrin_25525:

Concorde Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ErieMcDreary

ErieMcDreary Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2016
    Erie PA
    No you don't. Those guys are RESPONSIBLE for everything on those trucks. They have to check and test every system, inspect every item, including interior, body, and paint. Talk about a serious pre-trip!
    We took a tour, and rode with one of them. He told us about hitting a deer with a brand new truck! Oh well, back to the body shop.
    What are you delivering there? I used to deliver fiberglass hoods, and sleeper tops, and later Cummins engines.
    Every one of our new Paccar powered Peterbilts are, or have been, in the shop with electrical problems, mostly related to DEF, some to get headlight harness's replaced, but I don't know of any engine problems.
    Driving an older Pete with a twin turbo Cat now, plenty of power, but I would like to dump the 10 spd for a 13spd.
    I never thought I'd miss driving a Volvo!

Steel Dragon Thanks this.
  4. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    Every part imaginable.I love watching everyone working together to make those trucks.
    :Courier:

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Depends what size. The smaller ones are rebranded Cummins but the MX13 is a Daf engine from Europe.

Concorde and Steel Dragon Thank this.
  6. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    The Paccar PX's are Cummins, the MX11's and MX13's are Paccar (DAF)

SAR and Steel Dragon Thank this.
  7. Hegemeister

Hegemeister Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I'll be buying a truck this year and I am pondering whether to buy the MX13 or the X15

Steel Dragon Thanks this.
  8. ErieMcDreary

ErieMcDreary Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2016
    Erie PA
    Try to take the tour, if you can. It's pretty cool watching everything come together. Very basically, they start with the frame rails, upside down to install suspension, then flip them to install drivetrain, and finally body. We even got to stand next to one on the dyno, can't do that now, I bet.
    Funny story, while there we saw an accident between a cab and a sleeper. They were both on roller dolly's and were pushed into each other. Minor damage, back to the body shop.
    Also saw the robot in action that put together all the plastic panels to make the T600 cabs.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.