Detroit DD13 fuel gallery bypass valve

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by devedo, Dec 22, 2020.

1. devedo

devedo Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Got a 2010 freightliner cascadia with a DD13 with the 3 filter fuel setup.

It has a extended crank time on initial start ups. As long as it has been running within 3hrs it'll fire up normal. Otherwise, it goes through about 4 cycles of the starter overheat protection to build low pressure to 30psi then fires up. No issues with driveability.

I'm kinda looking for some information on the fuel gallery bypass valve. It's mentioned in the manual of the system overview, but not in any of the troubleshooting. So I dont know what symptoms of a stuck valve and not much experience with this fuel system (it looks rediculous though). I'm leaning towards a suction is weak on the low pressure side, but would like to eliminate this valve being an issue because it's part of the filter housing and not the pump.

1. Fuel level is good.
    2. No active or stored faults
    3. Rail pressure does not go above 150 bar (2175psi) until low pressure starts building.
    4. QCV current while cranking is below 2800ma (does change between cranking a key on engine off).
    5. LPPO (low fuel pressure) is below 30psi for about the 4 overheat cranking cycles then builds and fires off.
    6. Don't have hose adapters to measure suction. I did blow out the lines running back to the tanks to make sure there wasn't any restrictions.
    7. No external fuel leaks
    8. Pressure limiting valve is new.

Ckp signal were good and it passed compression testing and rail bleed off testing in DDDL.

PLV, QCV, and prefilter valve & filter have been replaced. First two within the last 6 months. Prefilter valve I changed Friday (2 days ago) to eliminate.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    When you have fuel filters out, get a flashlight and check for metal debris in bottom of housing. Check for debris with light and/or magnet in bottom of fuel tank. If you have, it's HPFP time.

magoo68 and devedo Thank this.
  4. devedo

devedo Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Unfortunately, the filters were changed and housing cleaned out after it got delivered with no notes on debris in the housing. We're a used dealer and repair shop. We buy large number of fleet trucks at auctions, service & inspect them, fix whatever wrong, and convert them to whatever the customer needs are. So, it hasn't left the lot besides for test drives since it was serviced.

I'll try the magnet in the tank though and see if I get anything out of it.

5. north60

north60 Bobtail Member

Jun 13, 2019
    fuel injector return lines at back of head could be leaking. replace the two seal rings on the fittings going into the head.

6. devedo

devedo Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2015
    It was the pump assembly. Issue has been fixed

magoo68 and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  7. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.