Detroit Diesel 8 V 92 coolant in oil pan.

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by aviation1972, Nov 28, 2019.

1. aviation1972

aviation1972 Bobtail Member

Nov 28, 2019
    Coolant tank empty. Oil dipstick way over full level. Milky gray color. No idea when this happened. I believe, while parked and cold, but I've been told that's almost impossible. One or two people have said, the engine had to be running when this happened. Been parked for several months. Last drive was a very short, 2 mile, 20 minute fuel fill up. Engine has always run smooth and strong. Less than 180,000 miles on it. Need everybody's input, please? Anything you can tell me, I will appreciate. Don't assume I know anything. Cause I don't. Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Time to have it towed to a shop and have them pull the pan and fill with coolant and the pressure test and see where the coolant is leaking.

4. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    See above that is the only way to properly diagnose it and not be speculating

peterd Thanks this.
  5. aviation1972

Nov 28, 2019
    Thank you for your quick reply.

6. aviation1972

Nov 28, 2019
    You're right. Thank you.

wore out Thanks this.
  7. Snow Monster

Snow Monster Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2019
    Don't quote me, but I seem to recall hearing there are frost plugs under the blower, (supercharger), and sometimes they pop, not necessarily from freezing.

8. aviation1972

Nov 28, 2019
    Thank you, but please don't assume that I know the rest. Cause I don't. Are you saying, that if a frost plug pops, that opens a seal, and the coolant can travel down from there? Please tell me the rest? Thanks. How many frost plugs are there? My 8 V 92 is turbocharged, and intercooled. Don't know about a supercharger.

9. Snow Monster

Snow Monster Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2019
    First, there's a supercharger underneath the turbocharger, more commonly known as a blower.
    Under the blower is the engine block and oil galley, inside that space under the blower there may be internal frost plugs that are meant to pop if the coolant freezes in the block.
    If the plugs under the blower pop from ice or coolant pressure or rust through from the inside then the coolant mixes with the oil.

This is one possibility, but like others have said, I would also take it to someone who knows these engines because it could be any number of things, a cracked block, cracked cylinder liners, blown head gaskets, other.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  10. aviation1972

Nov 28, 2019

11. aviation1972

Nov 28, 2019
    How do you access the frost plugs? How do you inspect them? Directly? Or, does everything above them have to be removed first? How do you replace the frost plugs? Is the oil galley the same as the oil pan at the bottom of the engine, or a different area? How many frost plugs are there? How does tbe coolant freeze in the block? Just asking, cause it is antifreeze. I know that's just one possibility out of many. Got to find out which one. But, nighttime temperatures have been below freezing a couple of nights. Not super cold. 20's some nights. Thanks. Your help is GREAT.

spsauerland Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.