detroit diesel 8v92 questions

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by flc120, Oct 13, 2015.

1. flc120

flc120 Heavy Load Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Miami,FL (yeah i know :( )
    Is this the blower driveshaft SI_20151022_233430.jpg

Is this located behind the rear of the blower were the pulley drive for the altenator is? I was told that pulley needs to come off and its behind it?

Someone also told me to make sure governor is full and primed, i want to take top cover were throttle linkage is,were the governor is and fill to top with diesel fuel to see whats up with prime.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. no-handle

no-handle Bobtail Member

Feb 26, 2014
    wharton texas
    do not miss with governor cover .......you will ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,man you gatta understand that motorwill build rpm slow at 1st then continue to the point no return!!!!!!at 2100 430hp,,,,,,,,,,,3500 750hp,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ect.................go head say it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,just put a board over intake,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ha.ha at 3200 or 4000 rpm big blower sucks all oil out crank case,,,,,,,,,,,,,ever seen onerun on used oil..............fuel governor housing.!!!!!!!!!! what on earth he smoken

4. goin2fast10

goin2fast10 Light Load Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Where I want to be
    Yes that's the blower drive shaft. It won't run without it.
    There is no such thing as the governor being full and primed.
    It's a mechanical device only with a little oil for lubrication and has 0 to do with the "prime". There is no reason to take the cover off.
    There are 2 things a diesel needs to run. Fuel and air. If it won't run it isn't getting one or the other.
    Look/check for 'smoke' when cranking WITHOUT ether.
    White (or light gray) means too little fuel, or low compression.
    Black means too much fuel, or turbo not spinning (which comes back to too much fuel for correct air to fuel ratio). Or, if you have the blower drive shaft out:p
    It has an "emergency" shut off cable, which, as I said in an earlier post, is probably the "chrome T handle" in the cab. The emergency shutoff shuts off the air to the blower. If it's closed there will be black smoke (too much fuel for correct air to fuel ratio). It has to be pushed in, all the way. That's why I said (in another post) to check on the side of the blower at the top to ensure it's open. It has a lever with a notched 'cam'. Make sure the notch is in place with the lever holding it open. BUT, if it is/was closed you would be seeing black smoke WITHOUT ether.

It sounds like you're just not getting enough fuel to the injectors. It takes a LOT to get the 'system' primed and no, an electric pump won't do the job. I posted a link to a hand held priming pump which is what you need. I thought 'pressurizing' the fuel tank might work but obviously it didn't. So, a mechanical priming pump is in your future, sooner rather than later.
    A "typical" fuel system consists of:
    (1)Tank, (2) line to "primary" filter (2a) (with a check valve at filter), (3) line to pump, (4) line to secondary fuel filter,(5) line(s) to head(s), (6) line(s) out of head with a restricted fitting at head exit.
    (The fuel pump is 2 gears meaning it is positive displacement with output proportional to the speed it's turning, but just as important is the volume.)
    I doubt it's "worn out". That's pretty unusual. Not impossible, but not probable.
    It probably siphoned itself dry (through the injectors) which is not unheard of. That means the injectors have to be primed, by hand.
    That means taking a valve cover off and 'cracking' some of the fuel lines on some of the injectors while 'priming' the system AND after it starts to purge ALL the air.
    Injector priming can be accomplished using just the battery cranking the engine over and purging the air one injector at a time until ALL air is purged.
    DO NOT USE ETHER. That crap is dangerous. It can accumulate in the crankcase and airbox and it WILL explode. Trust me, you don't want to be standing beside it when that happens.

no-handle Thanks this.
  5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    This whole thread is a pretty good indicator why old Detroit's are obsolete. A "dry" Detroit is, and always has been a bitxx to get going again. 10 dash 4 on the ether, goin2fast. As stated before, I helped a friend get an old Pettibone loader with a 4-53(?) and the so called "mechanic" that was helping us told me to spray the ether in the intake until he said stop. Well, it started right away with a small shot, but died when I stopped spraying. The guy got pissed at me and said, KEEP SPRAYING. After a few minutes of running on ether, I said, " you know, this isn't really good to do this", and the schmuck said "just keep spraying". I've heard of bosses firing people for using too much ether. :biggrin_25512:

goin2fast10 Thanks this.
  6. goin2fast10

goin2fast10 Light Load Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Where I want to be
    Actually EPA regulations is why the old DDC engines were phased out.
    Ether is explosive, as in, it explodes. Fuel 'burns' as in, it's a "controlled" ignition process.
    He wasn't a very experienced mechanic.... or not very smart....LOL

Bean Jr. and 201 Thank this.
  7. no-handle

no-handle Bobtail Member

Feb 26, 2014
    wharton texas
    what he said,,,ditto,ditto,,,,,,there will be life in that ol Detroit........provided he has not removed cover yet....

8. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    He sold it hope he came out.
    I got home off steering wheel duty today and found my 92 book. The bottom of each page has it's copy right date which very between June 1974 and April 1979. There were at least three different governor set ups.
    No nothing confusing about 2 stroke Detroit's!
    All of these had a ridged connection between the fuel control tube and the arm that goes to the individual injector control racks. I believe later models had a spring on each arm so that if an individual injector stuck it could not hold the others and the emergency shut down was discontinued.
    2fast you had some really good information and I learned something thank you. The air in the tank will work but I was afraid to tell someone to put a tire valve stem in a fuel cap, plug everything except the return line from the engine to prime the system. That was what I was told to do when some smart guy ran out of fuel and was handed a box full of different fuel caps with valve stems bolted in them. It works but a plugged line could cause a serious problem.
    sdaniel: That sounds like some pretty deep stuff or could Kennedy still be around?

9. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    Just because the factory did not put it together , does not mean it can not be built . Just need the CPL (was so post to be a marine application)and round up the parts . Never heard of a KT 800, guess not . 16v92 ? Friend put one in a Pete . Stretched the frame , factory hood only covered half . Made a butterfly hood to fill in the rest. Pretty sure John died in Dallas. Guess some people think Ford makes Top Fuel drag cars.

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  10. mnmover

mnmover Road Train Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Lichfield MN
    Some of the "kill" devices needed to be manually reset on the engine. The cable just pulled it to kill the motor but would not reset it. As for fuel, get a small pressurized container and hook it to the fuel line near the engine that way the pump won't have to suck fuel all the way from the fuel tanks. A shutoff valve could be between the fuel container and the engine so if something goes bad, you could stop the fuel flow. I used to have a small plastic hose on a fitting that screwed into the top of the fuel filter casting and would put fuel in the tube 2 or 2.5 feet above the filter, get the engine started then change the fittings back to the original plug.

11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I've used ether a few times, but never in more than a 2-3 second burst.

If it starts after that, and then quits, the problem is elsewhere.

201 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.