Detroit Exhaust Manifold - China, Mexico or USA

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by rbrauns, Dec 21, 2020.

1. rbrauns

rbrauns Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2014
    I need to buy a new DDEC 5 exhaust manifold but don't have a lot of money.

My choices are AKMI made in China for around $400, the OEM made in Mexico for $800 and Full-Tilt manifold for $1500. Taxes extra.

I can't find any info on the AK manifolds regarding quality and know that the Full-Tilt manifold is the cat's meow but funds are tight.

Any recommendations and why?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    Full tilt will probably pay for itself in the long rung ...should see some mpg gains i guess

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Cannot answer that but will share this.
    Needed a manifold for a 436 JCB. It has a Cummins. Manifold had a Cummins part number on it. Cummins and JCB were around a $950. China off the internet was under $300. All of them were 2 to 3 week delivery time. I ordered it from China using PayPal. Was advised it is safer.
    Manifold showed up on the early side and looked perfect. It is still running perfect about 4 years later. Wonder if they all come from the same place?

5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    If your manifolds cracked or leaking at the joints from running high HP, maybe you need a full tilt. If it’s stock, and you’re not planning on building a hot rod, I’d get the $400 one. The age old argument about OEM doesn’t hold up since you need one now. From what I’ve heard, full tilt doesn’t give much of a return in performance for the price anyway. I’d keep the $1100 difference. Might need something else next week.

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  6. LoJackDatHo

LoJackDatHo Medium Load Member

Jan 26, 2017
    You can check PAI. They make one also. $400-$500 range. I’m in same boat. Trying to decide. Can’t justify the $1500 for full tilt running everything else stock. I have an AKMI oil pan and it looks and feels and fits as good as OEM when I put it on. No issues 5 years later. Also replaced front cover on n14 with one from 4 states. Half the price OEM and it was fine as well. I think aftermarket parts are ok as long as no moving parts. Things like injectors, and O/H kits I stay OEM

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.