Detroit fuel pressure

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Prohemi500, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Prohemi500

Prohemi500 Bobtail Member

Jul 4, 2013
    same old problem I have been throwing parts at for over a year now.. 2006 Columbia with 14L DDEC-V, am I correct in saying the fuel pressure on this engine should be around 15psi idling and around 25psi at 1500 rpm? I have had a few different stories on this, including pressures up to 65psi, but my local Detroit shop told me these numbers were correct for the ddec-v so I have been leaning this direction. I have made a few posts over the last year concerning this skipping problem I cannot fix. Without getting into that, I found out today after putting a fuel pressure gauge inside the truck while I'm driving it, that it will not go over about 18-20 psi under a full throttle load all the way up to 2000 rpm's. Could this cause the engine to skip because of lack of fuel? To me, it seems that if my fuel pressure numbers are correct, I'm about 8-10 psi too low... I think the truck should just be down on power, not skip..? Any info is appreciated!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
    I think you should have stuck with a Hemi:D Seriously, I have no idea what the answer is to either of your dilemmas

4. Prohemi500

Prohemi500 Bobtail Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Haha, yeah those hemi's were a few years back, got to figure these diesels out now.

5. Junkyard Johnney

Junkyard Johnney Light Load Member

May 27, 2012
    Plains,Mt
    Here is a site that may help, has good check lists, take a look at section ll.2.3 . Looks like your pressure is low, my DDEC 3 runs around 35-40 going down the road 60-65mph. Pressure of course is affected by fuel temp. I have a permanent mounted fuel pressure gauge on the dash and monitor it as much as the rest of the gauges. Air in the system will cause a misfire, loose fittings can cause this there are a bunch of them to check but that is just time. I had a fuel filter housing come loose not much but enough to suck a little air and in just a few miles shut it down. Strange thing never happened again. Just places to start that only take time no money. Just throwing out ideas without knowing what you have checked or done so far.
    J-J
    https://ddcsn-ddc.freightliner.com/cps/rde/xbcr/ddcsn/3-ddecv-06a.pdf

tdmccree64 and Prohemi500 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.