Detroit S60 won’t start.

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by blairandgretchen, Jan 19, 2018.

1. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Fueled up last night, had the truck washed, drove it enough to park it, let it run a while, shut it off.

Mild temperatures.

Fired up this morning, ran for about 5 seconds and died, like it ran out of fuel.

Shut off fuel tap, changed both fuel filters. The secondary was about half full.

Turn tap back on, crank, no fire.

Any suggestions?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Shot of ether and it runs - advised to change timing sensors and fuel lines as precautionary measures.

Thanks @Ruthless and Sean at Garners Diesel.

BigBob410, Oxbow, Dave_in_AZ and 3 others Thank this.
  4. terryt

terryt Heavy Load Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Check for water in fuel since you just filled up. Do you have a water separator if so check for water.

5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Brain box on side of motor? Once, at a garage, a guy's truck wouldn't start, Detroit, and the guy pulls out the "heat wrench", warms up the control box for a second, fired right up.

6. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Sounds like air is getting in somewhere and it lost prime. Check all connections for signs of leakage, like wet/damp fuel. Check all fuel lines, bend them and listen for cracking sounds, if the lines are hard and cracking, replace them. If you have a Davco, check the check ball in the inlet line.

Oxbow, Dave_in_AZ, skman and 5 others Thank this.
  7. ODR

ODR Light Load Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Tompkins, Sk
    Same thing happened to me in the spring. It was the power wire from the batteries to the ECM that had rubbed through insulation and corroded. Found this out after changing sensors. I had power from key to ECM but not battery. Needs both or injectors won't fire.

8. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    the braided fuel lines are known for the rubber collapsing inside. causing fuel problems

9. Scorps830

Scorps830 Bobtail Member

Jan 19, 2018
    I love these engines.
    #1 Check ecm wire at batteries.( very common no start culprit).
    #2 check fuel tank breather hose.
    #3 may be froze up??
    #4 the obvious (low coolant) top up, and cycle key.
    Please don't ever try to heat up ecm, on the left side of the engine.
    If none of those, it gets a bit harder to diagnose.
    ECM wires. They are famous for rubbing out and corroding near the starter and fly wheel housing. Just look for obvious sign of wear on the wire loom.
    Could also be the timing reference sensor, or crank sensor, or possibly the wires to those sensors. Both are located on back side of timing cover behind the air compressor. That corner of the engine gets pretty hot. It's hard on the plastic sensors and the wires.

I have never seen a fuel pump on these engines fail. Lots of people have replaced the pump, just to have the same problem.
    I hope this helps.
    I am not a certified Detroit diesel tech, but I have had many years experience with these engines in our fleet.
    Please use your brain. do not do things to your truck, just because someone on the internet said so.

10. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    To be clear, I never would have heated the ECM either. I apologize if it sounded like advice. I was shocked when that guy did that.:eek: So why did the truck start right up? Obviously, he had done that before.

blairandgretchen and BoxCarKidd Thank this.
  11. Scorps830

Scorps830 Bobtail Member

Jan 19, 2018
    I totally understand. Everyone has there own method of doing things.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.