Detroit series 60 12.7 oil out of breather

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by KENWIL138, Dec 15, 2018.

1. KENWIL138

KENWIL138 Bobtail Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Hello. New here and I am really hoping you guys could give me some advice. I have a 2004 freightliner columbia with the 12.7 60 series. When the engine is under load I have a lot of oil coming from the breather tube. I put a 2 liter bottle on the tube and drove it 35 miles loaded and the bottle was filled up about halfway with oil and there was more on the underside of the truck from the vent hole I put in the bottle. So basically about a liter of oil every 30-40 miles. No oil leaks from the breather when I am not loaded. Any ideas? The truck also seems like it is lacking power. Thank you for any help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Sounds like the engine has a lot of wear. That's what the blow by hose is for. It let air pressure out that blows by the engine rings. You can have a blow by test and they can measure the pressure coming out the blow by hose. From that they can tell you if it time for a rebuild.

It usually blows oil even at ilde also. but lack or power and lots of oil coming out blow-by hose. Sounds like it time for a rebuild

4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Save your money on the test Lol. I think you’ve covered that. Excessive crankcase pressure can also be caused by a bad air compressor or a bad turbo. Rule those two out before signing up for an overhaul

5. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I would suspect Turbo as it’s worse under a Load And is losing power. Maybe a mechanic with more knowledge than I can help.

6. KENWIL138

KENWIL138 Bobtail Member

Dec 15, 2018
    The turbo shaft has a very small amount of movement both up and down side to side. Any other ways to check the turbo? Thanks.

7. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    How many miles on engine? If truck had 90,000 a year put on, then its at well over 1 mil. miles. Probably been rebuilt, but things don't last forever.

8. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Movement of shaft is normal as long as it’s not scraping sides. But I’ve heard the seals can go bad and pressurize oil system.Dont know much more. Or how to check it. But that amount of blow by all of a sudden is definately serious. I wouldn’t run it much meanwhile.

9. KENWIL138

KENWIL138 Bobtail Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Truck has 602,000 according to the odometer. I guess I can try to get it in to a dyno so they can check turbo and air compressor. Sound like a good plan?

10. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Well not huge miles. Have you owned or drove the truck long? Anyway that is a lot of oil pushing out the breather. Would get it into shop and hopefully talk to someone knowledgeable. Compare new turbo price to dyno test and all. May not be a whole bunch more money to put a new or rebuilt turbo on and try that. If thats not the solution, at least you have a low mile turbo. Then i probably see a rebuild in your future. Unless air compressor. Actually in my over 40 years never had a turbo or air compressor do what your describing. Not saying it couldn't . When engines breath hard out the breather, its a rebuild.

11. KENWIL138

KENWIL138 Bobtail Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Yeah that's what I'm figuring too. I guess I'm just trying to escape the inevitable. Any recommendations of a shop in Oklahoma city? Or maybe someone who wants to make some money on the side rebuilding a motor? Haha. I've dealt with Inland Truck service and they have quoted me 16k for a complete rebuild including head, injectors, turbo, water pump, oil pump and all the other common rebuild items.

stillwurkin Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.